Trial ware question

For all your non-technical questions.
tetech

Trial ware question

Postby tetech » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:22 am

I'm about due to upgrade InstallShield (getting ready for Vista). I find InstallShield clunky and slow, so I'm considering a competitive upgrade to InstallAware.

Most of my questions were answered in the product info or by searching the forum.

My key criteria:
Need to do web installs downloading only the components selected at install time
Need to be able to easily create patches
Need to offer automatic web updates
Need to be able to perform IIS actions - new virtual directories, stop, start
Like to offer "trial ware" that expires after a given time unless registered
Like to prompt for serial number at installation and verify via phone or web

I think InstallAware has no problem with the "needs" (correct me if I'm wrong!). Questions about the last two points...

Trial ware should avoid users doing a simple uninstall-reinstall workaround.

Serial numbers - from a search in the forum, I think this is possible. The question is, can the user enter some validation key manually IF the web server is unreachable. Some customers don't have internet access.

Either or both of these possible? Plugins needed? Cost?

I'm not looking for a complete solution... this is just pre-sales :) I just want to know whether it is possible without major hacking or writing DLLs.

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:06 am

Trial ware is not possible through a "bullet" proof solution by InstallAWARE.
You will have to use a commercial solution like WinLicense on your software http://www.oreans.com for more info.

As for the serial validation.. It can be done through local code (just validate it), but if you use Web Validation, is much more better, as you can "restrict" the serial numbers available and keep track of your clients.

In the other hand, if you use WinLicense, it does the two above from default as a protection scheme, and it is cheap.
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
InstallAware Software Corporation

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:32 am

Hi,

Need to do web installs downloading only the components selected at install time: Built-in using WebAware installations

Need to be able to easily create patches: Built-in using One-Click Patching

Need to offer automatic web updates: Built-in using InstallAware Web Updates

Need to be able to perform IIS actions - new virtual directories, stop, start: Built-in using MSIcode scripting, including support for application pools

Like to offer "trial ware" that expires after a given time unless registered: Not available

Like to prompt for serial number at installation: Built-in using pre-built setup dialogs, and verify via phone or web: Phone is not available, web is available

Trial ware should avoid users doing a simple uninstall-reinstall workaround: I think you need your trials to time-out after a certain amount of time. This behavior is not available built-in, but can be addressed by, for example, your license server.

can the user enter some validation key manually IF the web server is unreachable: There is a pre-built sample called Serial Validation, which illustrates how to generate and validate unique serial numbers for each user (not a pre-defined range - one unique serial for each user).

InstallAware is an installation solution, not a product trialware wrapper. We are focused on building installers only (and it shows in our products and service). For this reason, you might be better of wrapping your product with a company dedicated for building wrappers, and then installing your product with InstallAware. However, InstallAware can still do most of the licensing related tasks you require as I have described above, because its built-in functionality is very flexible, and it ships with plently of pre-built samples that illustrate how to perform specialized installation tasks, all without rocket science and in an easily customizable manner.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

tetech

Postby tetech » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:41 am

Hi Candice, thanks for your quick reply (I'm impressed with that).

I have two follow-up questions.

First: I think I would need at least the developer version to have the features I listed above under "needs". Correct?

Second, regarding license validation,

Like to prompt for serial number at installation: Built-in using pre-built setup dialogs, and verify via phone or web: Phone is not available, web is available

I didn't mean that the installer would initiate a dialup session.

I meant this: user enters install code; sent to web server; if server is available, server sends back registration (or 'confirmation') code which is validated somehow; if server not available, user is instructed to call us for the code and they are prompted to enter it manually. So the installer needs to conditionally display (or not display) a manual entry dialog depending on whether it got a response from the web server.

Trial ware should avoid users doing a simple uninstall-reinstall workaround: I think you need your trials to time-out after a certain amount of time. This behavior is not available built-in, but can be addressed by, for example, your license server.

OK, that is how it is done now.

Thanks again.
:)

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:40 pm

You will need the Studio Admin version, so you can edit and create custom dialogs for your setup.

You can create as many dialogs as you want and display them in the way you want to your client.Either it's a multichoice box for Web or Phone activation, or a Server that doesn't reply, all can be done through the powerfull InstallAWARE Scripting engine (MSICode).

If you need any asistance don't hesitate to contact me in person at pkefal (at) installaware (dot) com, i can provide consulting services to you or even create your setup project, at very reasonable fees.

Eitherwise post your questions on the Technical Support forum and we'll be happy to give you some guidelines and code sample to get your job done! :)

Also, any feedback on improving the product is always welcome!
Panagiotis Kefalidis

\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"

tetech

Postby tetech » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:45 pm

Hi Panagiotis,

Thanks. I think that is enough for me to go forward with an evaluation.

But I don't think that editing custom dialogs is necessary for my "needs"... only my last two "like to" bullet points. Do my "needs", i.e.

Need to do web installs downloading only the components selected at install time
Need to be able to easily create patches
Need to offer automatic web updates
Need to be able to perform IIS actions - new virtual directories, stop, start

require me to edit custom dialogs? Or is there something else in this above list that would require Studio Admin?

To achieve the "like to" points regarding registration, then yes I think it is clear to me that custom dialogs are needed.

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:10 pm

I think you are ok with Developer then! :) 8)
Panagiotis Kefalidis

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:38 pm

Yes, you would indeed be OK with Developer :)

I did misunderstand your phone question - as long as you have the back-end capability to process incoming calls and generate serials while on the line, you can enter them in an InstallAware setup in the installation wizard.

That last one would require Studio though :) Studio Admin is not necessary - Studio already ships with the dialog designer, that will allow you to build very attractive, interactive phone/web registration dialogs. You may even perform automated checks for web connections, or allow the user to choose manually via radio buttons the type of registration they prefer.

So in closing, I think Studio would cover all your needs, and Developer would cover your must-have's!
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”