Building Merge Modules?

For all your non-technical questions.
khalprin

Building Merge Modules?

Postby khalprin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:37 am

I saw another post regarding this ability, but it referred to an older release of InstallAware. Can release 6.x build merge modules - if so, which version of the product do I need to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Ken

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:08 am

Unfortunately, you cannot create merge modules in InstallAware (you may, however, reuse existing merge modules). The preferred method of re-using blocks of installation code in InstallAware is with the Include Script command - a far easier, scriptable alternative to merge modules. You may also convert your existing merge modules into MSIcode scripts using the Database Import Wizard.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Mercuria

Postby Mercuria » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 am

Is there a way of using the GUI to generate the script for the modules?

payalg

Postby payalg » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 am

Open the New Project window in the InstallAware IDE, choose MSI/MSM Import Wizard. This Database Import Wizard opens a Windows Installer setup (MSI file) or merge module (MSM file) database. It inspects the contents of the database, extracts and/or copies files from inside the database and/or source media, and then emits a ready-to-build InstallAware setup, complete with a customizable script.
Payal Gupta
InstallAware

Mercuria

Postby Mercuria » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm not looking for a conversion of an msm--I'm trying to author an alternative to an msm (for use with other InstallAware projects).

From what I've seen around the forums, I should be using a light mode build in place of a merge module, and script the execution of the light mode into the main project. Do I also need to take care of removing the light mode module when uninstalling the main package, or is that taken care of with the "Run Light Mode" command?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:19 pm

If you're looking for a way to create MSMs for consumption by third party Windows Installer tools, you can use our product WiXAware. It will let you create MSM files.

If on the other hand you're looking to reuse blocks of code in your InstallAware environment, create include scripts and use the Include Script command.

Light Mode Setups are deprecated and have to be managed manually - such as for uninstalls as you were asking. They just don't include the InstallAware runtime and are identical in every other way to a regular InstallAware setup. For this reason I suggest you use Include Script.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Return to “Non-Technical”