Excuse me if this is the wrong forum..

For all your non-technical questions.

Excuse me if this is the wrong forum..

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:32 pm

I'm looking for a better solution to package my software, so that it can be easily installed on a system. Excuse my ignorance, I'm a recent grad, and am the second software hire at a small company. The current method of software installation is to install VS6.0 (yes, I know, 6.0) via CDROM that is external to our embedded system, compile the code, and unintall VS.

First of all, I've convinced the company to upgrade to .NET. Secondly, I'm wondering if InstallAware is the proper software to use with packaging and installation automation. Also, I'm grew up in UNIX and Linux, which is why this may sound ignorant to you Windows users. Thank you for any help.

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:50 am

This is definitely the right forum to post in!

InstallAware Studio would meet your installation authoring and automation needs for a long time to come. You might be very perplexed with Windows Installer coming from the *nix world - and InstallAware would be your best choice as it simplifies a lot of things for you, without taking away your power or flexibility.

You definitely don't want to install VS, recompile, then uninstall it - you'll instead use InstallAware to build a setup for your compiled files, and you'll distribute the output of that, the setup, instead.

Thank you very much

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:04 am

Thank you. I will discuss this with my co-workers, and most likely get back to you very soon!

Return to “Non-Technical”