IA evaluation

For all your non-technical questions.
jweksej

IA evaluation

Postby jweksej » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:45 am

Hi,
I'm really interested in opinion of people who moved from InstallShield or Wise to IA, who do complicated installers for bundle of products/modules. What they think when after beeing IS/W masters they are now IA master. What are IA strenghts and weaknesses. What kind of problems they reached. How helpful was IA support, etc. Just heart-felt opinions of professionals not related to IA, which will help me to make good decision. IA is now on top of my ranking but I need proofs to be not badly surprised in future :-)

MortSkil

IA evaluation

Postby MortSkil » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:52 am

Hi,

I share your interests. Have been working with Wise for Windows Installer v6.2 for about a year.

I struggled really hard to create my first full-featured install with WfWI, after first dismissing IS Express.

Maintaining my WfWI project has been OK, and the quality of WfWI forums is brilliant.

However, I am worried about the technical support of Wise through Altiris, as they have not released a single patch since february, and there is no sign whatsoever what they plan to support in the planned release of WfWI 7.

My main concern is that they do not support installing .NET framework 1.1 assemblies on .NET 2.0 target machines. This is actually the reason why I have now ordered IA Studio.

The first issue I ran into with IA is that I did not find support for creating firewall exceptions for installed applications. This works perfectly in WfWI.

I plan to transfer my installation step by step, and if I find any more issues, I will try to remember posting comments in this thread :D .

-Morten

Tinus

Re: IA evaluation

Postby Tinus » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:45 am

MortSkil wrote:The first issue I ran into with IA is that I did not find support for creating firewall exceptions for installed applications.

Try it this way:

Code: Select all

Run Program $WINSYSDIR$\\netsh.exe firewall add port protocol=TCP port=12345 name="bla bla" profile=ALL (WAIT)
Martin Rothschink
InstallAware MVP

AxoNet Software GmbH
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware

Return to “Non-Technical”