Firewall exceptions for installed applications

For all your non-technical questions.
MortSkil

Firewall exceptions for installed applications

Postby MortSkil » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:02 am

Wise for Windows Installer supports creating firewall exceptions, either by opening desired ports or allowing installed applications through the wall.
Is there any such feature in InstallAware?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:59 am

Sorry, this is not built-in.

If this is a registry based setting, try to import the MSI database Wise creates using the Database Import Wizard, and see what entries it has created there. You can also try sniffing what their setup does using PackageAware.

If this is API based, we could build a plug-in for it so you could do this easily from your setup using a single MSIcode command.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

MortSkil

Postby MortSkil » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:20 am

I will check what Wise does and let you know my findings as soon as I have time to dig into it :wink: .

MortSkil

Postby MortSkil » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:07 am

- and, if you provide this feature as a plug-in: Will that be available for the IA community for free, or would we have to order this feature specifically? :lol:

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:07 am

Free :)
Candice Jones

InstallAware

MortSkil

Postby MortSkil » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:15 am

Splendid :D

Please feel free to transfer (or copy) this topic to Technical support if you want.

MortSkil

Postby MortSkil » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 am

Check out the Windows Firewall Scripting article. It contains many useful scripts illustrating how to manipulate the Firewall.

Is it best to use this information in the InstallAware project directly, or would you recommend a plug-in from InstallAware?

Seems like a huge security hole, though. If a user with administrative privileges runs a malicious program, there seem to be nothing to stop the program from digging large holes in any local firewall.

-Morten

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:10 am

Very interesting! I think the simplest way would be to save these scripts as text files and then to add them to your project as support files, then run them using the Windows Script Host (if I recall the name correctly) from $SUPPORTDIR$. I believe there was an .exe file that could be directly used which would take care of this.

As far as the security vulnerability, yes you are exactly right. This is a big vulnerability!
Candice Jones

InstallAware

MortSkil

Postby MortSkil » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:02 am

Well, from my point of view, our users should not have to edit the firewall configuration in order to let our IP-aware programs work, so I prefer to define my software as not being malicious by purpose
:wink:

Do you know if it is possible to execute a VB script using Windows Scripting Host silently?

Do you have any experience with different brands of firewall/antivirus software and programs installed using InstallAware?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:53 pm

Yes I believe there are samples for that in this forum. I believe InstallAware works well with all security products out there - we are not aware of any issues.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Tinus

Postby Tinus » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:54 am

MortSkil wrote:Check out the Windows Firewall Scripting article. It contains many useful scripts illustrating how to manipulate the Firewall.
-Morten

Morten, in my projects I simply call netsh.exe:

Code: Select all

Run Program $WINSYSDIR$\\netsh.exe firewall add port protocol=TCP port=12345 name="bla bla" profile=ALL (WAIT)
Martin Rothschink
InstallAware MVP

AxoNet Software GmbH
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware

MortSkil

Postby MortSkil » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:50 am

Thanks a lot! I will check this out and see how it works for my first InstallAware project.
:D

Return to “Non-Technical”