Web Updates

For all your non-technical questions.
yellowbus

Web Updates

Postby yellowbus » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:30 pm

I'm totally new to IA and I'm looking for a product that can distribute my .net2 app, and then allow easy "web updates".

I've spent around 3 hours trying to get your web updates to work but I must be doing somthing wrong.

You F1 help file says "as long as this file is uploaded to the specified URL, the update mechanism will work".

mmmmmm not on my PC.

Please give me an easy "1,2,3" step by step guide on how I can deploy somthing as simple as a word document to my desktop, then have automatic updates pick up a new version, surely couldn't be any easier.

Please keep it simple though as I cannot afford to waste any time. If your product isn't up to the job, I need to know now however looking at the info pages, it should do everything I need, but really, I can't spend hours trying to make somthing work.

I need somthing that'll do the job, quick and easily.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:40 pm

Please keep your posts on-topic and professional. I can see you have complained a lot without due cause, but you have actually failed to provide any details on what you actually tried to do, and how it didn't work.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:50 am

Wow thats a hostile response if I've ever seen one.

I was really excited when I seen a reply to my post, but the content of it was far from exciting.

1st of, I started my question by saying "i must be doing somthing wrong" therefore admitting I'm doing somthing wrong and simply on the forum for help.

Secondly, I've read the help file (F1) as this is what you've told other people to do in the forum so the next paragraph is simply stating that the help file says one thing, but in conjunction with the first paragraph, I must be doing somthing wrong.

The 3rd paragraph is simply asking for an easy example to follow to create an initial setup, and then have your software update with the fixes.

Lastly I've stated that I cannot afford to waste anytime as I really need a solution so its a simply statement saying "I'm sure your product is capable of what I want" but I can't spend hours trying things myself.

My post was on-topic "pre-sales" and professional, I've stated "I need help" and I've stated what I think would resolve my problem "a 1,2,3 step guide".

I don't want someone to come along and simply solve my real problem as I wouldn't understand your product then, a simple example is all I'll need to get things going.

Candice, you have no idea what kind of customer I am, how many of your products I would possibly buy, if I'm an existing customer, someone that has been recommended etc, if your role is support, why waste time responding with a paragraph of text that provides so support content. I would understand if my post had been really lame, but its not, its saying:

I've read the help files and I (as in ME) must be doing somthing wrong
I've read the forums and I (ME) must be doing somthing wrong
I've provided you with what I think would solve my problem

So again.....for clarity.
1. I'm having a problem creating/using the "web update" facility.
2. It'd be a great help if someone could post a step by step guide of how I could create a simple setup file containing just 1 word document, then use the "web updates" section to update the word document....simple solution.

Any real help would be more than welcome.

Kind regards,

Mike,

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:00 am

Dear Mike,

Reading your first post as an individual, i got offended too, that's the reason i didn't reply.I was expecting a reaction/post from an official IA representative.Candice replied in a reasonable manner regarding your post.You were quite aggressive against IA with no reason.

Things with WebUpdates are very very simple.

On Application Information, you set the Application version for example, let's say it's "1.0".You also enable the checkbox for receiving updates and set the correct url for the .ini file.
Now, on the update packages, you create a package with correct parameters and let's name it "Update 1.1".
The only thing you have to do now, is create a package named "1.0" and check the boxes from the left (after ytou select "1.0") which updates should version "1.0" receive.
Build your project, upload .ini and you are ready to go.

Everything is explained on the help file.
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
InstallAware Software Corporation

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Hi,

I think agressive is a little bit much bit if it appeared that way I'm sorry.

I'm a direct person, people ask me for answers and I simply provide them simple and to the point, I ask questions and I just want them answered in a simple to the point way, things move very fast around me and I just expect other things to move at the same speed.

Didn't mean to offend or upset.

The reason I asked for the example is I've tried what the F1 help says and the scheduled task doesn't get installed on the target machine, this is why I said I must be doing somthing wrong and went for a real simple example, i.e. the word doc. I know I must be doing somthing wrong, I just need to figure out what it is. Another reason for starting with a real simple install, then I should be able to apply that to my actual install.

I'll give you example a go tonight and let you know, I appriciate its a very simple thing to achieve and fully admit its my understanding of your product which is at fault, if my direct approach/questions offend again I'm sorry.

Thanks for your reply.

kind regards,

Mike,

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:19 pm

OK, so if the question is when the task gets scheduled, the answer is on the next logon of the user. If you'd like to change this behavior, just edit the update.mia script - you get the full sources, so its pretty easy.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi,

Thanks, the question wasn't really that as I just can't get the web updates to work, I've tried rebooting the pc etc but I can't seem to get it to work and I'm sure I'm doing somthing really stupid and wrong.

So because I'm loading a pretty complex app, I thought it best to simply go back to basics and master the understanding first.

So the question was really, can I have a simple step by step guide in creating an install and a subsequent web update.

Gizmo has kindly provided a little list which I'm going to try this evening so hopefully, fingers crossed I will master this method.

kind regards,

Mike,

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:57 am

Thanks, Mike. I also see you purchased our Express edition at the competitive upgrade discount for $149, our most affordable product. I hope you will enjoy InstallAware, thanks for your business.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Hi,

Thanks for efforts, I managed to get a workable demo up and running and could see no reason to then not purchase the product.

I'm an InstallShield convert and will be forever more now.

I still think that the example on web updates is a little cryptic so I'm doing screen shots and a little word doc that I think I can post to this forum for clarity for other users.

The cryptic bit I think is what to put where when it comes to URL's etc.

If I can't post to this site I'll email support seperatly for your use, or if your reading this as a user, just email me seperatly and I'll forward the doc over.

Kind regards,

Mike,

Return to “Non-Technical”