Setup Squeezer-Installaware limitations?

For all your non-technical questions.
naik

Setup Squeezer-Installaware limitations?

Postby naik » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:47 am

Question 1: I have a msi and run it with the following parameters: "msiexec /i dummy.msi /qb ALLUSERS=1 /l* dummy.log". How do I pass the parameters to the new exe file created with squeezer?

Question 2: I have an installation containing 14 173 files, 77 folders and a total size of 2.04GB. Halfway through the squeezing process it hangs and then displays an unspecific error. Have I reached the installer limitation or another limitation in your product?

Thanks in advance

Regards

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:52 am

So, you actually have an MSI file that is larger than 2 GB? I believe that might cause a few problems, Setup Squeezer is a 32 bit application, and it may not be able to address a single file larger than 2 GB.

I will try to find out how you can pass command line parameters for you - I believe this was possible.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

naik

Postby naik » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:02 am

OK, i suspected that. I will split the file into two files instead. The only way i managed it to work so far was to use "no compression" in WfWi but size matters here...thanks so far..

naik

Postby naik » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:24 am

Any good news about passing command-line parameters through msiexec.exe with squeezed EXE?

Like this:

"msiexec /i dummy.exe /qb ALLUSERS=1 /l* dummy.log"

Anyone?

naik

Postby naik » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:50 am

I will try to find out how you can pass command line parameters for you - I believe this was possible.

Any news? Still waiting.......

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:28 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I've got good news! Yes, you can pass any command line parameter you like.

The first part in your sample below (msiexec /i) will be used automatically because that is the standard way MSI files open on Windows.

The second part in your sample, "/qb ALLUSERS=1 /l* dummy.log", can be used simply by providing the exact value on the command line to the Setup Squeezer created EXE file. So something like

Code: Select all

mysetup.exe /qb ALLUSERS=1 /l* dummy.log

will get you what you want.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”