SQL Server 2005 Express Named Instance Dependency.

For all your non-technical questions.
arafangion

SQL Server 2005 Express Named Instance Dependency.

Postby arafangion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:54 pm

I am attempting to create an installer that checks that SQL Server 2005 Express (SSE) is installed, and provides an explicit instance name. This is for Microsoft Vista.

I filled in the password and instance name in the SSE dialog,
then clicked on the generate command line button, as follows:
SECURITYMODE=SQL DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SAPWD="secret" INSTANCENAME="MYINSTANCE" ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine

However, upon installation (where SSE is already installed), I can't see the instance in either the "Programs and Features" list nor can I see it in the SSE Services list in Computer Maintanance, I can only see SQL Server Browser, and the default named instance of SQLEXPRESS.

What might be wrong?

If this command only occurs if SSE is not installed, what is a good solution to get what I want in the event that SSE is already installed?

Thankyou.

arafangion

Postby arafangion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Ok, didn't realise you had to change the Check Service as well.

Is changing the "service" from "MSSQL$EXPRESS" to "MSSQL$MYINSTANCE" a good solution, or should I just put it in as "MYINSTANCE", after which that dialog never comes up again unless you remove the check for the dependency, refuse to save the scripts, then add it again.

Installation then correctly sets up the named instance. Why does it require a restart?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:22 am

You should use the exact instance name that is shown in the Control Panel for your SQL Server instance. That will make sure the check is accurate.

As for a restart, the installation simply reports the return code from the native SQL Server installer back to you. So, if the SQL Server setup itself for any reason requires a restart, that is passed back to the master setup. Please contact the SQL Server support team for more information on why their setup might need a restart.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”