Running Setup from IDE - Problem on Vista

For all your non-technical questions.
arafangion

Running Setup from IDE - Problem on Vista

Postby arafangion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:15 pm

Whenever I do a new project in IA, (just going with the defaults, not doing anything wierd or anything):

1) The build process completely fails until you explicitly allow write access to the instalaware directory in program files.
2) Whenever I click on "the little green arrow", the setup appears to run correctly, except that Vista appears to silently and utterly ignore many thinsg that need admin access, such as downloading and installing SQL Server that is listed as a dependency. It then comes up with a critical error.

I have to go to the build folder and run it from there, but I assume that makes it impossible to debug!

How can we resolve this issue?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:36 am

You need to run the IDE with admin rights and with elevated privileges. The IDE does need to have full admin access to its installation folder and the project folder. If you are using UAC, you may want to make sure UAC is elevating the IDE to real admin permissions before proceeding. I think we will also be adding a manifest to the IDE itself (the setups already have this) so the IDE is automatically elevated by UAC at startup.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”