Patch installs to $Title$ instead of $TargetDir$

For all your non-technical questions.
showorth

Patch installs to $Title$ instead of $TargetDir$

Postby showorth » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:52 pm

I'm evalutaing IA right now, and so far loving the features, especially the web update notification.

I ran into a slight problem though when patching my product. I have my product installing in a custom folder name that does not equal the product title ($Title$). The initial install put the product correctly in the folder I specified. I then built a second setup with a newer version of the software, and create a patch to update the older setup. The patch installs the software in a directory that matches $Title$, and does not pick up the directory in which it was originally installed. I made sure that my newer setup also has the custom folder for it's target dir.

Did I miss something?

Thanks for your help.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Make sure the patch script, when running, is seeing the correct value of the target folder. Try to show the value with a MessageBox command, for example. There might be some code you have in the regular script which changes the target path to the value you desire, that got skipped in the patch script.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

showorth

Postby showorth » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:18 am

Candice --

Thank you for the feedback. I will look into the code to see what I can find.

I'm still a little confused though. I didn't change any other code throughout the entire setup. I started with a basic project and only modified the target installation directory (for the main setup) through the property pages. After having my installation packages created, I then went and told IA to create a patch.

Why is the default patch script not set up to pick up these directory changes? What would happen if the end user would specify a different directory to install the product in during the product setup? Shouldn't the patch script by default install to where the existing product was installed instead of relying on me to have to tell it to do this?

Thanks.

--steve

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:42 pm

Patches do automatically detect the target directory where your application was installed. I think in your case the best thing to do is double-check the setup script to see if any modifications that you made in the visual IDE were applied to the MSIcode in an error-producing way when the patch build is run.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”