Is it possible to create registry SZ_MULTISTRING's?

For all your non-technical questions.
daniel347x

Is it possible to create registry SZ_MULTISTRING's?

Postby daniel347x » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:41 am

Hello,

I am using the Trial version of InstallAware, and I tried adding a set of Registry keys to HKLM/Software using the Visual view (Setup Architecture\\Registry).

All keys were successfully imported into the project... except for Multistrings (SZ_MULTISTRING, I believe they're called in Win32...might be off).

None of the Multistrings were imported; furthermore, it is impossible to manually add a key of that type.

I notice that the Wise for Windows Installer product imports Multistrings by creating String variables (rather than Multistring variables) and separating the strings with [~] (and placing two [~] at the end of all the strings). I have not actually created and tested any installation projects with Wise, however, so I'm not sure whether this method used by Wise works...I'm a bit skeptical since the keys aren't listed as Multistrings...but I'm not sure. However, it seems to be outright impossible with InstallAware.

Is there a way to achieve this using InstallAware?

Thank you so much,

Dan Nissenbaum

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:21 am

Unfortunately, this is not available in the current version - we will be adding it shortly.

daniel347x

Postby daniel347x » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:58 am

Hi again,

Here is a comment from someone at Wise when I asked them about the fact that "multistrings" are imported by Wise from the Registry as "strings" with [~] delimiting the strings...

"This is from the Windows Installer SDK:

If the value contains the sequence tilde [~], then the value is interpreted as a Null-delimited list of strings (REG_MULTI_SZ). For example, to specify a list containing the three strings a, b and c, use "a[~]b[~]c".

So it should work for you."

Is it possible that, in fact, InstallAware also will work properly if Registry strings are created with the above format - that they will in fact become Multistrings during installation if the tilde [~] is used?

Thank you again,
Dan

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:12 am

That is a very clever observation :D
Yes, please try that out.

Return to “Non-Technical”