Web Media

For all your non-technical questions.
Aaron Young

Web Media

Postby Aaron Young » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:38 pm

I'm evaluating InstallAware and so far I'm very impressed...

I have a question about Web Media; does a Web Media package get downloaded when InstallFiles is initiated for a file within the package (after Apply Installs) or when it's determined that the file actually needs to be installed? (i.e. after a file version/date comparison, etc..)

The reason I'm asking is I have a collection of files that will likely not change (or change very rarely) from version to version, so ideally I'd like them to be part of a Web Media package that's only downloaded when needed (typically the first ever installation.)

However, the files are crucial to the application, so I don't want to make them a selectable component and allow the user to deselect them or try to deselect them programatically within the install. (because if I do then update them at some point, I've got a new problem on my hands.)

Regards,

- Aaron.

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:19 pm

The moment a command that requires access to source media (such as Install Files, or plug-ins that install runtimes) executes, the web media block will download - this will happen before even Apply Install gets called.

Therefore, it is not possible to delay the download until when it is actually determined that the file will install or not, due to a determination from date/time issues or versioning that the file has not been updated.

It will be a bit of manual work, but you can use If commands and test file versions, and only then actually call Install Files commands. Of course, this is impractical if you are working with more than just a couple of files...

Aaron Young

Postby Aaron Young » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:07 am

That is what I expected (and of course entirely reasonable and logical), just thought I'd make absolutely sure.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Regards,

- Aaron.

Return to “Non-Technical”