Finish evaluating, just one problem to resolve

For all your non-technical questions.
Talyrond

Finish evaluating, just one problem to resolve

Postby Talyrond » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:49 am

Hi I have nearly finished evaluating InstallAware and I have to say I am really please with your product, except I hope I do not fall at the last hurdle!

I have one stumbling block that I need to resolve:

A ‘Standard user’ on Vista has to choose ‘Run as administrator’ to install or patch an application, due to the resulting Setup.exe manifest containing ‘highestAvailable’ requested execution level.

My problem is that I perform updates to my app with a third party control, I still use the patch or completely new installation exe. My app downloads the require exe to a temp folder and executes it automatically. It is just not possible for the user to right click and install that way!

I have seen a number of threads now, regarding this matter where users have put forward good arguments why at least an option to request ‘requireAdministrator’ execution level should be available.

Do you have any plans to for this facility? I am afraid this is possibly a show stopper for me, I am sure there is a work around, like changing the manifest myself, but time is not on my side.

Thank you

Julian

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Your install should check for admin rights and quit if none are available. You can also run the install with admin rights from your app.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”