For all your non-technical questions.
hugbug

Handling events in dialogs?

Postby hugbug » Tue May 20, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi,

I'm evaluating IA to migrate from Wise.

I need to customize dialogs and write code for following events:

1) click on custom button.
First, I want to print License whithout closing of dialog. Second, I need a link-label (blue underlined text) to run external program.

I could not found how to write code for events. The only solution I was able to implement was to assign action "Return from Dialog" to button/label, then check the WIZARD-variable, execute MSICode and display the same dialog again (via goto). I do not like this solution, because there is a visible flickering effect, which does not look well.

2) typing in edit-field.
I need to react on typing of serial number. After each changing an external DLL-call should be performed. The Next-button must be enabled only if a correct serial was typed.

Again, I was able only to process serial number after the dialog is closed and to show the dialog again, if the nuber was not correct. But is not the behaviour I need.

Thanks.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed May 21, 2008 9:55 am

1) This flicker occurs only inside the IDE and will not occur at runtime with a built setup.exe. So this is actually the correct way of handling this.

2) Unfortunately, this is not currently supported. There is no way to do this - you can do rudimentary pre-validation using an edit mask and dialog rules, but calling the DLL needs to happen after the dialog has returned (which cannot happen from a text input field).
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

eugen.cocalea

Postby eugen.cocalea » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:41 am

The flicker actually happens at runtime as well, even with a built .exe

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 am

It won't. Send us a movie of what you are experiencing if you are certain it is. Also, to handle events, study the CD Autorun sample project.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

DaveL

\"Next\" button flickers on Registration dialog

Postby DaveL » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:12 pm

We recently created an installer with a Registration dialog. I started with the registration dialog included with one of InstallAware's existing themes and added several more edit fields, all of which are required to be filled in before the "Next" button is enabled. We have observed that as text is typed into the edit fields, the "Next" button flickers enabled/disabled... which, as has been previously asserted, should not happen. Note that this is with a final stand-alone compile of the installer (that is, it is not a debug build being run from the IDE).

This behavior should be easy to see by simply running the one of the InstallAware dialog theme samples and selecting the registration (with serial) dialog, for example.

Candice, I will send you a PM with a ZIP file containing a video of the "Official Dialogs Sampler" exhibiting the flickering.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:22 pm

The button can occasionally flicker based on the speed of the host system, however this is a separate issue from the one reported originally in this thread, in which a dialog flickers when a button click event is handled. That occurs only inside the IDE and not at runtime.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

DaveL

Postby DaveL » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Ah, yes, I understand the distinction from the original post...

Still, it would be nice to see an improvement in this area. I may be mistaken, but I am assuming that dialogs are displayed and controlled by the InstallAware runtime, as opposed to being converted into MSI table entries which would then be under the control of the Microsoft Windows Installer. If this is correct, then I would think it could be improved (e.g. by somehow delaying redraw of dialog controls until after processing all object rules instead of after each individual rule). Anyway, I'd appreciate it if a note could maybe be passed on to the InstallAware devs for investigation.

As a side note... I will grant that my system is dated, but would not go so far as to call it slow--it doesn't have a multi-core processor, but still packs 3GHz with hyper-threading, heheh... Several gigs of RAM, a capable video card, etc. (i.e. not resource-starved imo). Basically, during in-house testing of the installer, others have also commented on the flickering and noted that our customers may find it somewhat "unprofessional." Obviously not a "show-stopper" but, of course, I want to avoid this if at all possible! ;)

Thanks!

PS - I apologize also, because I originally found this thread via a Search and failed to notice that it was under Pre Sales, whereas my post might be better suited to the Technical Support forum.

Return to “Non-Technical”