Uninstall component independently?

For all your non-technical questions.
wxie

Uninstall component independently?

Postby wxie » Thu May 29, 2008 1:39 pm

My application has 3 components: DB, Win Service and Web Service. I managed to install each independently -- except only the first installed component has uninstaller but the remaining ones don't have uninstaller. When the uninstaller is executed, all components are uninstalled. Can individual component be uninstalled independently? If yes, how?

Thanks,

William X.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Of course, by using the Add-Remove Program Features option in your installer (or its equivalent as its called in your setup theme).
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

wxie

Postby wxie » Fri May 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks a lot for the timely response.

When you say "Add/Remove Program", is it InstallAware's command? or Windows control panel command? If it's the later, then there is problem for my case: all my components are treated as a single product by InstallAware -- they share same product code. So there is only program in the Add/Remove Program panel. None of the individual component will show up there -- which is expected: Win service, web service and DB are not supposed to there anyway.

I'm thinking of display the componenttree dialog after the uninstall dialog and ask user to specify which component to be uninstalled. Is this the right way to go?

Thanks,

William X.

payalg

Postby payalg » Fri May 30, 2008 4:30 pm

You can split your application into 3 features rather then having one feature. This way you can have all the features in components tree. And your users at runtime can select or deselect whether you want the feature to be installed or uninstalled. But since they are all part of the same application, your application will still be listed as one application in Add Remove program in Control Panel.
Payal Gupta
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”