Standalone Build

For all your non-technical questions.
Aaron Young

Standalone Build

Postby Aaron Young » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:49 pm

From what I understand I can use the command line tool miabuild.exe to perform automated build processes, what's not clear however is whether I need an additional license(s) to use it.

Our setup is as follows, an installation designer (me) has the full product installed on his PC which he uses to design the install projects.

There are then multiple build machines that need to be able to generate install packages from these projects, possibly at the same time.

My assumption is I can just use the miabuild command line tool on these build machines without additional licensing, is that correct. And what do I need to install on the build machines? The full IA product or is there a standalone build installer or subset of files I can copy?

Regards,

- Aaron.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi Aaron,

The Studio or Studio Admin editions do allow you to install the command line build engine on additional machines without requiring additional licenses.

The Developer edition however does not; you'll need to order a floating license, or if you want to do simultaneous builds, multiple full licenses.

And the Express edition doesn't provide a command line build tool at all.

You cannot just copy files for the command line build tool - you should perform an installation and choose the features you need for your build machines.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Aaron Young

Postby Aaron Young » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:30 pm

Just to clarify:

InstallAware Studio and InstallAware Studio Admin both allow the command line builder to be installed on multiple machines without any additional licenses and can be run on those multiple machines simultaneously?

InstallAware Developer requires a floating license for multiple installations and a full license for each machine if running simultaneous builds?

Regards,

- Aaron.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:43 am

Yes.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

swarovski

Postby swarovski » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:04 am

CandiceJones wrote:Hi Aaron,

The Studio or Studio Admin editions do allow you to install the command line build engine on additional machines without requiring additional licenses.

The Developer edition however does not; you'll need to order a floating license, or if you want to do simultaneous builds, multiple full licenses.

And the Express edition doesn't provide a command line build tool at all.

You cannot just copy files for the command line build tool - you should perform an installation and choose the features you need for your build machines.

I am using Studio version.

I tried to install InstallAware on a dedicated build machine.
I select only "Command Line Build.
Installation finished.

Then I apply the License setup.exe.
It prompts me InstallAware is not installed.

How could I apply the license setup.exe if only Command Line Build feature is installed?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:17 am

You also need to select the runtimes and plugins your setup needs, otherwise the build will fail anyways. So doing a full install is a good idea even for command line build machines to make sure you're not missing out on anything.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

swarovski

Postby swarovski » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:08 pm

CandiceJones wrote:You also need to select the runtimes and plugins your setup needs, otherwise the build will fail anyways. So doing a full install is a good idea even for command line build machines to make sure you're not missing out on anything.

Doing a full install on another machine is it eligible?
Because I have purchased only one license.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:41 am

With Studio, yes - as long as you do not actually fire up the IDE itself on that machine. The Studio license lets you install the command line build tool on multiple machines without requiring floating or additional licenses.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Return to “Non-Technical”