InstallAware Manuals?

For all your non-technical questions.
jonmach

InstallAware Manuals?

Postby jonmach » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:16 am

Hi all,

This is almost an embarassing question, but I cannot find the user guides for InstallAware. Someone please tell me they're in directory X, Y, or Z.

I appreciate the the product is supposed to be fairly simple to use, but it can't be that simple. Where are guides on install scripts etc.

I am a complete novice to InstallAware, so obviously I am going to need as much reference information as possible.

Any help appreciated...

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 am

Press F1 anywhere in the IDE for context sensitive help.

For conceptual information, please visit the Publications | Whitepapers page of our website.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

jonmach

Postby jonmach » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:49 am

Prior to posting my question, I did look at the white papers, and also went through the IDE help.

The IDE help does to be fair provide reference, I can still find no real comprehensive guide on how to script, how to provide flow between dialogs, or how to code a SQL server setup.

There are sample scripts, and projects but what you're asking the user here is to reverse engineer *how* these came to be built.

Have I missed something?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:58 am

The script is straightforward enough to be read and understood with a rudimentary knowledge of English. You'll of course have to spend time in either the code editor tweaking things or the visual designers if you don't want to mess with code. I don't see where reverse engineering fits in this. If you've read our whitepapers and taken a look at the script and still don't get it, InstallAware probably is not for you.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

TheVman

Postby TheVman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:44 am

CandiceJones wrote:The script is straightforward enough to be read and understood with a rudimentary knowledge of English. You'll of course have to spend time in either the code editor tweaking things or the visual designers if you don't want to mess with code. I don't see where reverse engineering fits in this. If you've read our whitepapers and taken a look at the script and still don't get it, InstallAware probably is not for you.

That answer sounds harsh, for someone new to the product it sounded like a valid point, there is no 'specific' indepth documentation on SQL 2005.
Regards,
TheVman

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:59 am

You'll actually need to read SQL Server documentation from Microsoft if you want to learn about the various options in installing SQL Server. InstallAware exposes each option, but since InstallAware does not develop SQL Server, InstallAware does not provide in-depth documentation of those options.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

TheVman

Postby TheVman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:44 am

CandiceJones wrote:You'll actually need to read SQL Server documentation from Microsoft if you want to learn about the various options in installing SQL Server. InstallAware exposes each option, but since InstallAware does not develop SQL Server, InstallAware does not provide in-depth documentation of those options.

Hi Candice,
I realize that, but I was referring to InstallAware's implementation of the nested Microsoft SQL 2005. That’s what I think 'jonmach' was trying to say.
You actually have answered or clarified some of it in this reply to me.
http://www.installaware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3824
Regards,

TheVman

Return to “Non-Technical”