Questions about InstallAware's update abilties

For all your non-technical questions.
IFoutz

Questions about InstallAware's update abilties

Postby IFoutz » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:38 am

I am currently evaluating InstallAware as my company needs a better install solution. I am very impressed with everything I've seen so far, but I am having trouble determining whether or not it can support a few features around patches we would like to have.

1. When we issue a patch, we would like someone at the client to determine whether or not that patch is going to get pushed out at their site. Is there some sort of mechanism for this in your automatic updater, or would we need to write this ourselves?

2. We would also like the clients to have the ability to download the patch once from us, copy it to a well-known location in their local network, and then have all their machines get the patch from there instead of over the internet. Is there a way to make that work?

Thanks for your help.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:21 pm

With InstallAware, you get the full sources of the update client. This means that you can customize it any way you like inside the very same InstallAware IDE that you use to build your setup.

Therefore, to answer your question, yes you can do both of what you're asking for - just with some custom edits to the regular update script.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”