Dynamic Company Name

For all your non-technical questions.
rthacker

Dynamic Company Name

Postby rthacker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:57 pm

I am in charge of a software project that we have OEM'ed to another company. Therefore, I produce two installs of the same product. One with our company name and one with the comapny name of the other company.

Depending on which branded version I am building, there are different file paths, registry key paths, Add/Remove Files information, shortcut names, and even some files are only installed for the OEM version with different files for the non-OEM version. To avoid issues, I need to have one install project that can produce both outputs.

With WISE, we use their "Releases" and "Release Settings" to accomplish this. I was unable to determine if InstallAware supports such a feature.

Can you explain if this is supported? If so, can you explain how it is done in InstallAware?
Regan Thacker

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Yes of course. Its called Compiler Variables in InstallAware. For instance, you can have one called BRAND and set it to your or the OEM's name and use it in the script using the form #BRAND#.

To include/exclude portions of your script, you can use Compiler Variable If/Else/End commands to branch your code at compile time any way you like!
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”