On The Fly creation of batch files

For all your non-technical questions.
Fabre

On The Fly creation of batch files

Postby Fabre » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:05 am

Hi!

I'm currently comparing several "installer builder" applications and InstallAware seems to promise a lot.
However, before I buy it, I need to check that it will be able to do what I need.

1) Can IA create batch files (*.bat) on the fly, according to a number of options during installation (such as installation directory)? Our applications are run by a set of .bat files and I'd like to be able to write them on the fly

2) Can IA install pre-requisite software (such as Directx 9.0c, MSXML, MSXML4, etc.), and do this in silent mode? Does IA contain common merge modules for those?

3) Can IA install these pre-requisite pieces of software or any other dependencies only if a number of checks have passed (eg. is it already installed, running, is the version lesser than the new one, etc.)?

Many thanks,

Fabre Lambeau
Inspiration Matters Ltd
UK
Last edited by Fabre on Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:20 am

1) Of course, using the Write to Text File command.

2) Absolutely, you can install a wide range of pre-reqs and if setup is started in silent mode (or you can even toggle silent mode on/off in your script), all prereqs will install silently. Or if you are asking whether prereq installation will proceed as an integral part of the main install process (without popping up seperate install windows, wizards, steps, etc.) the answer is again yes.

3) Of course, that is how the system works.

Return to “Non-Technical”