Few Questions about your Product before purchase

For all your non-technical questions.
ScottBM

Few Questions about your Product before purchase

Postby ScottBM » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Hello!

I have a few questions before I purchase your "Studio" version of InstallAware.

We would like to have a few questions answered if you have the time to answer them.

Our client is approx 2.5 gigs big installation currently. There will be very shortly many "addons" which can consist of up to 1 gig or more added to the primary install program.

Would this be a problem for your installer?

Our main question is about your patching option.

Would it be possible for your installer to detect what version of our client the player has and allow the player to update his client to the current version and / or add selected "addons" which are currently not installed on their computer.

Basically Our game client eventually will become upward of 5-10 gigs large and we would like to know if there is a way for it to be able to manage all of the installation files / updates to our clients. And allow the players to select certain addons, but be required to install "updates" to the "addons" or primary files which they already have installed.

Basically my company is looking for not only an installer, but a patcher and I read that InstallAware has this feature.

Let me know if you need any further information from me to help with this subject. I am trying to get this information to my boss to sign off on purchasing asap if this is possible, he needs to know if doing this is possible.

Mahalo, (Thanks)
Scott
Scott Matsuda
Studio Admin - Purchased
Floating License - Purchased
Updates 2 Years - Purchased

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:28 am

Aloha Scott!

InstallAware fully supports large installs (both as in number of files and files of large sizes) so you're covered there.

Since your new data to be installed is very large, I would recommend you use full installers instead of patches. You can still install new files with patches, of course...but in your case, and I think given InstallAware's auto-upgrade capabilities, it makes more sense to just publish full version installs instead of patches.

Please be sure to read the patching whitepaper from our website Support | Publications | Whitepapers section to also discover what patches can and cannot do for you.

Mahalo!
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”