Installing on 64 bit OS'es and Skipping Prerequisite Testing

For all your non-technical questions.
Chris Melvin

Installing on 64 bit OS'es and Skipping Prerequisite Testing

Postby Chris Melvin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 pm

I have a working trial install that installs my app, SQL Server 2008 Express and the other prerequisites.

I currently have 3 issues that I need to resolve.

1. On 64 bit versions of Windows Server 2008, the install fails. The installer does not build the 64 bit versions of the .NET Framework or the Windows Installer 4.5 into the install, so it fails.

How do I include the 64 bit items so that the installer will work on both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows?

2. On uninstall, the installer checks prerequisites before doing the uninstall. This includes checking for the SQL Server Instance I originally installed. The prerequisites are irrelevant on the uninstall.

How to I bypass the prereq check on uninstall?

3. I haven't isolated when this occurs, but there have been times when the uninstall asked for the installation media before it would uninstall. This shouldn't happen. It might be occurring on the prereq check if the SQL Server Instance is previously uninstalled, but I'm not sure.

Chris

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:50 pm

#1. We do not provide 64 bit runtimes at this time. You can build your own runtimes or simply run Microsoft's native installer using Run Program.

#2-#3. Just wrap the entire prereq block inside an If MAINTENANCE is FALSE and that will take care of it.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Chris Melvin

Postby Chris Melvin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:04 pm

Thank you very much for the fast reply. :)

Return to “Non-Technical”