Upgrade for CodeGear customers

For all your non-technical questions.
Darkwoof

Upgrade for CodeGear customers

Postby Darkwoof » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi,

I bought Delphi for PHP 1.0 back in 1997 when it first came out, and was given access to a copy of InstallAware CodeGear Special Edition (not sure which version it was)

Am I eligible for any upgrade discounts to any of the InstallAware products? If so, what would be my pricing for each of the editions?

Also, I'm wondering which edition would be suitable for my needs. In addition to creating installers for my .NET applications (developed in VS008), I need something that can *easily and quickly* create simpler installers that does the following:

1) Allow users to choose what to install based on "profile" (e.g. Full, Main Application Only, Sample Projects Only, Custom etc.) Each profile contains a list of of items to install, profiles may contain overlapping items.
2) Allow users to select a "custom profile" (as opposed to preset ones), where they can select or deselect items to install individually
3) In addition to just copying files, the installer should be able to run an included *.EXE files during the installation (e.g. a separate installer that installs other required files)
4) Have a screen that asks for a pass-phrase. If incorrect pass-phrase is supplied, user is directed to the standard profile selection screen (see points 1 and 2 above), if the correct pass-phrase is supplied, the profile selection screen will provide more items that the user can choose to install.
5) Uninstaller that removes both the files copied by InstallAware, and the separately installed files (see point 3)

I was able to accomplish all 5 of the points previously using NSIS, however had to manually script it all in. I'm looking for an installer that can allow me to do so without requiring as much manual effort. A lot of my work is done with a local non-profit which I volunteer at, so my budget for an installer is pretty low. I'm currently just looking at solutions that can accomplish the above 5 points with the least manual effort and the lowest cost.

Thanks.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:33 am

The edition you need is InstallAware Studio - your custom profiles require both dialog editing (Studio) and scripting (Developer). The good news is, this is the exact edition that you have a special CodeGear upgrade offer for:

http://www.installaware.com/landing/code-gear.html
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”