Request for Feature

For all your non-technical questions.
DanStutzman

Request for Feature

Postby DanStutzman » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:42 pm

Within the Database Import Wizard, can IA please implement an answer option (ie TRANSFORM) that automatically reads, records & applies the setup options chosen.

If IA were to do this it, all of the repackagers life's would be a lot easier and it would allow you to advertise to the repackaging community with a tool that directly competes with the InstallShield Tuner.

I can speak from previous experience in that when IA has been rejected in favor of WPS/IS/etc, the lack of a transform utility was usually the #1 reason.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 am

Transforms are not required for InstallAware setups, as the MSIcode does more at runtime than you ever could with any given finite set of transforms.

But I don't think that is what you are suggesting, is it? Can you please explain in a little more detail?
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

DanStutzman

Postby DanStutzman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:56 pm

CandiceJones wrote:Transforms are not required for InstallAware setups, as the MSIcode does more at runtime than you ever could with any given finite set of transforms.

But I don't think that is what you are suggesting, is it? Can you please explain in a little more detail?

Candice,

This request is specifically for Application Manager's like myself who work with alot of vendor driven MSI's that we have our repackagers configure, validate and create 1-Click deployment packages.

Take HP QuickTest Pro v10. This install contains 10 nested MSI's that are called via Setup.exe, configured dynamically based upon setup inteview, and then installed. If IA, could create a feature that would record the setup interview for the MSI while it is either being decompressed or imported and apply those settings dynamically, this would make my day (and alot of other people's). Keep in mind that as a repackager, we would remove Setup.exe from the equation, but keep and then nest each MSI that would be automatically configured via the IA tool.

While every setup option within a MSI can be configured via the CMDLine, with these Vendors outsourcing the MSI generation to any lowest-bid dog & pony show, sometimes identifying which CMDline property to use is a major PIA.

I understand that IA disregards the need for a TRANSFORM when the project is native to IA. But for repackagers that have no desire to recreate complex MSI's (and most of the time, lack the technical capability to do so), the ability to import AND record the setup options and then distribute using the IA IDE with all the features and tools that that brings.

I hope I explained this well enough.

DanStutzman

Postby DanStutzman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Candice,

If I didn't explain this well enough, please let me know and I will email you, with screen shots, explaining exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Dan

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:23 pm

That would be great, thank you.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”