Editions, architectures, project

For all your non-technical questions.
BradleyBe

Editions, architectures, project

Postby BradleyBe » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:29 am

Hi, I have completed some basic setups and am now trying to create a setup from current requirements.

1) We need to install:

sql exresss x32 and framework x32 on 32 architecture.
sql exresss x64 and framework x64 on 64 architecture.

We want to target both architectures in one installation.

How does one achieve this. Edition guide states that in Developer and up you can "Target 32 bit and 64 bit Windows with the same package". Is this actually a function of scripting as apposed to a GUI function in Developer and up? I checked the 64bit OS flag and included both architectures but the requiretments checking is still done for both architectures.

2) I need to install 1 of 3 features (mutually exclusive). So I need options instead of 'Installable features'. Is there a Dialog to assist? If I have to design my own dialog could it be done so as to still use the 'Filter by feature' functionality'? Dialog editing would require Studio at least?

3) I installed the setup with runtimes and was prompted for and edition. I selected Express, but still seem to have full functionality - Dialog editor, msi code editing. Is this normal?

4) I obviously messed up some msicode and saved the project. Now when I try open a the project it messages "'MAINTENANE' is not a valid integer value'. The project does not open to fix the problem. How do I get around this or do I have to scrap the project?

Thanks for any assistance.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 pm

1) You need to use MSIcode scripting for this.

2) You can design your custom dialog (at least Studio required) and insert three radio-buttons, for instance, for the front-end. And then you can manually bind these to features using the Set Feature Selection command.

3) It sounds to me like you thought you selected Express, but you probably left the selection as the default Studio Admin.

4) You may want to try to restore from the single level auto-backup created by the IDE during saves - there will be a *.mia.bak file, rename that back to *.mia and try again.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

BradleyBe

Postby BradleyBe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:03 am

I replaced with the .back files and still no luck - Could I take this opportunity to say that adding source code control ability to your product would make it awesome.

After using integrated check-in / out ability of developer IDEs it seems like hard work to get this into a version control system.

Thanks for assistance.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:13 am

Why should it be difficult? Just check-in your InstallAware project files into your favorite source control environment normally.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”