New user questions

For all your non-technical questions.
garylyb

New user questions

Postby garylyb » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:51 am

Hi

Our current installer is written in C++ and uses the old microsoft setup api - the old roll your own stuff.

I want to get on a current installer with web install and 7zip compression.

We have a database that's installed on the end users computer, and runs over 700 meg uncompressed - 7zip gets it under 200 meg.

We install programs in the standard program directory, and the data files in a different directory that defaults to C:\\Quotes Plus Data

How do I set up the data directory in the installer, defaulting to C:\\Quotes Plus Data - and let the user change it if required. Do I have to create my own dialog?

In the Files dialog, when I try to add a directory off of the Target Folders tree, the InstallAware software just hangs, and I have to kill the process.

Also, how do I restrict the setup type to Complete setup and Personalized setup, I don't need a minimum setup.

Thanks,

Gary

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:18 pm

Hi Gary

You can create your own dialog, starting off with the destination dialog. Just "save as" the destination dialog as a new dialog name. Edit it to let users know this is a different path, and then call it from your script, using code like below:

Code: Select all

Set Variable SECONDTARGETDIR to C:\\Quotes Plus Data
Set Variable BACKUPTARGETDIR to $TARGETDIR$
Set Variable TARGETDIR to $SECONDTARGETDIR$
Display Dialog modifieddestination
Set Variable SECONDTARGETDIR to $TARGETDIR$
Set Variable TARGETDIR to $BACKUPTARGETDIR$

In the Files view, be sure to select a parent directory first, before adding new directories. You can always change that parent directory later, just click the added "*.*" wildcard. For instance in your case you would change the destination of the "*.*" wildcards to $SECONDTARGETDIR$.

As for your last question, just edit the dialog again. Delete the minimum radio button from the dialog, along with related text, and save your changes.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”