Floating License

For all your non-technical questions.
pdm1999

Floating License

Postby pdm1999 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm considering moving from InstallShield to InstallAware (Developer or Studio) and had a question on licensing. I'm an independent developer therefore I would be the only user of IA. Typically I would be creating installs from my office development system. However, when traveling to a customer site I may need to create (or update) an install on my notebook system. However, I would never need to run IA on both systems simultaneously. If I'm in the office I'd be using the office system and if in the field I'd be using my notebook.

Ideally, I'd like IA to be the same on the desktop and notebook systems with full capability to create new installs using the IDE as well as modify existing installs. Would that require a floating license?

If I only want to modify/update an existing installation due to application changes I've made, then I could use the IDE on the office system and the command line tool on the notebook?

Thanks in advance.

CandiceJones

Re: Floating License

Postby CandiceJones » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:28 pm

What you have described is the perfect use case for the floating license option.

With the Studio or higher editions though, you do not need a floating license purchase for build machines (machines where the IDE and tools will NEVER be launched).

For all other use, you can install a single license for the product on multiple machines with a floating license, as long as no more than one copy is active at a time.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”