Passing the computer name to a command line

For all your non-technical questions.
mjjnl

Passing the computer name to a command line

Postby mjjnl » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:40 pm

We're evaluating InstallAware Developer and need to call some external command lines and scripts with the name of the computer that the script is running on. How would we get automatically get this information without user intervention and put it in a variable to pass to the run command?

Another question - we first installed Express and then when we realised we needed scripting uninstalled and installed Developer. However when we try to build projects now we get 'Include script C:\\Program Files\\InstallAware Express 5\\runtimes\\checkmsi20.msi not found on disk' - how do we fix this?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:15 pm

Hi!

You can obtain the computer name using the Get System Settings command, Logged on Computer name field. This command stores its result in a variable that you specify, you may then use the Run Program command and pass this variable, using the form $VAR$, to the external tool you will be running.

As for your second question, reinstalling (or repairing) the Developer installation - with all features selected - ought to do the trick.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

mjjnl

Get System Settings works, install still broken however

Postby mjjnl » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:02 am

Getting the computer name works fine - thanks. Is this anywhere in the manual? I couldn't find it anywhere.

As for your second question, reinstalling (or repairing) the Developer installation - with all features selected - ought to do the trick.

Unfortuately not. I have worked around it by creating a fake InstallAware Express 5\\runtimes directory and copied the runtime files accross from the Developer installation but uninstall/reboot/reinstall didn't work - I tried it several times.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks for your reports and feedback. I'll have a developer check on your report. Our manuals are rather scarce but please - we're here to help - so ask if you have any questions!
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”