Is it possible to do following with InstallAware

For all your non-technical questions.
matrix2k

Is it possible to do following with InstallAware

Postby matrix2k » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:33 am

Our product currently uses batch files to install itself. We have decided to use a professional tool for creating setups.
InstallShield seems to be best product on the market unless InstallAware can do following or are planning to implement it soon in that case we will use InstallAware.

Is there an build in function in InstallAware that can execute .NET Installer Class like InstallUtil does. If not can it be done and how?

Is it possible to edit XML files,, How?

Is it possible to set permissions and special permissions to files and folders?

Is it possible to create new Users and/or Groups and set their rights eg(logonAsService)?

thanks

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:51 am

Hi!

Thank you for considering InstallAware!

1) You may run InstallUtil directly from your setup using the Run Program command.
2) You may edit XML files using the EditFile plug-in - its a free add-on built by the InstallAware community for exactly that purpose and available on the Plug-Ins section of this forum.
3) You may use the Set Access Control command to set permissions on file, registry, and other system objects.
4) This is the one thing that cannot be done now - but I think you may soon see a plug-in for it in the forums (or even, direct support in the product for it - our product features are very user-driven as evidenced by the forum posts here).

Please let me know if you have more questions!
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

matrix2k

Postby matrix2k » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:34 am

Thank you for your response. For me and my company it is a big plus that you listen to your customers.

I have one more quiestion. We have a build farm and would like to automatise the buid process of InstallAware project. Do we need an aditional license for our build machine or Is it included in the package an standalone compiler like InstallShield has.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:21 am

Hi!

As long as you have the Studio edition, you may freely place the redistribute build tools on as many machines as you like, including your build farm.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

matrix2k

Postby matrix2k » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:19 am

Thanks,

We have decidet to use InstallAware for creation of our installation package and we have obtained a new installaware studio license.

Return to “Non-Technical”