Importing InstallShield projects

For all your non-technical questions.
ldsandon

Importing InstallShield projects

Postby ldsandon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:43 am

I'm evaluating InstallAware to replace InstallShield. I downloaded the trial (Studio), and I saw it can import Wise/InnoSetup/NullSoft projects, but didn't see anything about InstallShield. Is this a trial limitation, is it an edition limitation or it is not available at all?

We have some fairly complex setups made with InstallShield Developer, and we would like to avoid to rebuild them from scratch.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Hi!

Our engineers were unable to decipher the InstallShield project formats. Therefore I am sorry to say that we do not have an InstallShield importer - this is not a trial limitation (our trials always offer the full range of features in the full versions).

What you can do, however, is use either the Database Import Wizard (if your InstallShield setup outputs an MSI), or use the PackageAware tool (regardless of the technology used in building your setups) to convert your existing installation. These methods might miss a few subtle things here or there, but they should take care of the worst of it for you.

Also, you may consider using the Setup Decompressor to process MSI packages, and then use the (Un)Install MSI Setup command in InstallAware to directly execute an external MSI installation (even capturing its progress and displaying it on the native InstallAware progress dialog on the way). This way, you get both the better compression of InstallAware, and avoid setup reengineering.

Finally, assuming the only thing you want to do is just benefit from the better compression - the Setup Decompressor has a new switch which lets you directly process most types of external setups and converts them into independent, better compressed installers, which use InstallAware's better compression rates, without having to migrate, or redo your setup project in InstallAware.

So a lot of options - I am hoping one of them fits the bill for you!
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”