Some questions from newbe.

For all your non-technical questions.
bearua

Some questions from newbe.

Postby bearua » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:09 am

Hi all.
I have downloaded a trial version of InstallAware to research if we can use it for our product.

After few days of using it I have some questions.
1)Why I don't have a .msi file in output directory ? (only .exe) Is it because of trial version of your product ?
2)Is it possible to add check for required runtimes but not include them into installer ? (for example, check if user have .net framework 3.5 and exit the installer if not)

I'd like to have answers before we buy the product.
Can anybody help ?

Thanks, Aleksey.

royisher

Re: Some questions from newbe.

Postby royisher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:34 am

Hi Alexsy,

Thank you for trialing InstallAware.

Aviv should be online soon and will be able to help you with this. We have also received your email and support should reply soon.

Thank you!
Royi Sher
InstallAware Marketing & Sales

giaviv

Re: Some questions from newbe.

Postby giaviv » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:26 am

Dear Aleksey,

1) You should have an MSI in the output folder, unless you select a Web deploy or a Single EXE deploy. In an Uncompressed deploy (CD/DVD), you will have an MSI alongside the EXE. It's important to note though that setups are run through the EXE, not the MSI. The EXE is the InstallAware setup that wraps the MSI.
2) It is definitely possible! If you add a runtime to your project, two scripts will be added to the Included Scripts in the MSIcode tab. The first will be check{runtimename}, and the second setup{runtimename}. The first script is in charge of checking whether the runtime is already installed, so you can just browse that script and see what it does and even copy the code and reuse it!
Aviv Giladi
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Product Guides - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... guides.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Non-Technical”