SSL over HTTP Web Downloads

For all your non-technical questions.
tiger9091

SSL over HTTP Web Downloads

Postby tiger9091 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:24 pm

Can you verify that Installaware requires that the web media blocks be available via HTTP, and not HTTPS? I was unable to run the installation when the web media blocks were on an HTTPS site, but it ran without issue when I moved the files to an area available through HTTP.

Thanks

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:37 pm

I believe HTTPS should also work...as long as the URL is specified correctly, and the server is serving the data over the secure connection correctly. In fact you could even use FTP, network shares, and more...all as your download URLs.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

tiger9091

Postby tiger9091 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:01 pm

Thanks for the information. First of all, I did not realize that I posted to the presales forum. If I need to move to tech support, let me know. You mentioned if the server is serving the data over the secure connection correctly. I believe we have that set up correctly, but the web media downloads fail if I use a (correct) HTTPS reference instead of an HTTP. Is there a specific setting for ignoring/accepting client certificates I should check on the website?

Thanks

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi!

As long as your server is able to serve the file, it should all work. You can try entering the URL into Internet Explorer and see if that works - always a good way to test. Also double-check your download URL. Finally, make sure you don't have any firewalls and/or other security software blocking or interfering with downloads.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”