Setup Squeezer

For all your non-technical questions.
MikeMio

Setup Squeezer

Postby MikeMio » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:46 am

Hello,

I have just been try the Setup Squeezer trial software. I am impressed with the compression (4.9 MB vs. 5.8 MB) and I like that it produces a self-extracting exe (some download sites do not support msi files) but I have a couple of questions:

1. It appears that the compressed msi file is extracted to a temporary folder during installation and then removed afterwards. That means that if the user does a 'repair' from the control panels's add/remove programs, the msi file will not be found.

Is there an option to store the extracted msi to a permanent location? If not is there another way around this problem?

2. The extracted msi file retains its original authenticode digital signature but the signature is no longer valid. Is there a way to have this internal msi file signed correctly?

3. Can the final exe's icon and version info be changed (to our company info) or does your license require it remain as is?

Thanks,
Mike

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:56 am

Hi!

1) The MSI will be cached locally by Windows Installer for uninstalls. A properly authored package should not need the MSI to uninstall. To add new features, the original MSI will need to be run using the EXE again.

2) Since the file has changed, the signature will no longer be valid.

3) Yes, these must remain as-is. You can get more flexible with InstallAware.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

MikeMio

Postby MikeMio » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:43 am

Ok, Thanks for the quick repsonse.

On point 1, you might consider that for a future version because, unless I misunderstand, as it is, the change button in add/remove programs cannot work for repair (because only the msi database not the actual files are cached by Windows Installer.)

The second point is not a big problem and the 3rd is fine either way.

Thanks, again.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm

The same is true for point 1 if an MSI is being used for the installation:

The original MSI needs to be kept by the person installing the product, or repair will fail. So in this case the original EXE needs to be kept.

Therefore, it doesn't really matter whether Setup Squeezer is used or not. Its really up to the end-user to keep the installation file, be it an EXE or MSI.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

MikeMio

Postby MikeMio » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:38 pm

The difference is that if a user runs and keeps the original MSI file, the repair option in add/remove programs will work.

If a user runs and keeps your exe file, the repair option in add/remove programs will not work and the user will need to guess or be told that they need to exit add/remove programs and run the original exe again.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion. I think it would be useful but don't do it on my account.

Thanks, bye.

Mike

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:05 am

No - if a user runs and keeps our exe file, the repair or change features option will still work. The user just needs to run our exe file, or run it to self extract and then point the Add Remove Programs applet to point to the extracted folder.

I'm not sure I follow why you believe our exe won't work just like the original MSI.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

MikeMio

Postby MikeMio » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:35 am

Ok, if you are interested, I'll try to explain it more clearly:

Step 1. I install the the application:

Case A:
-. I put the original MSI file (say XXX.msi) on my desktop then install it.

or Case B:
-. I put your squeezed exe file (say XXX.exe) on my desktop then install it.

Step 2. From the add/remove programs I choose the Change and then the Repair option:

Case A:
- The installation is repaired as expected.

or Case B:
- The installation is NOT repaired. Instead I see an error message saying that a file ("XXX.msi.copy 0.msi" cannot be found)

THAT is the difference I see between the original msi and your exe.

As an average user, I would not know where to look for "XXX.msi.copy 0.msi" (it does not exist) and I may not guess that I can re-run XXX.exe to perform the repair. I would probably contact my software vendor to ask why it doesn't work.

Similarly, if one of my installed vital files is damaged or removed, the system will attempt a repair and I will see the same results as Step 2 Case A and B. That is, Case A works, Case B does not

See what I mean?

Mike

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:34 pm

Yes, but:

1) This is not an issue when uninstalling.
2) When repairing or adding new features, just run the Setup Squeezed EXE (which is easier than the Control Panel for that task anyways).

Many thanks for taking the time to explain!
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Return to “Non-Technical”