Pre Sales Questions

For all your non-technical questions.
KeithHurst

Pre Sales Questions

Postby KeithHurst » Fri May 25, 2012 9:45 am

Hi,

Hope you can help with some queries before I download the trial system.

The company I work for currently uses an old version of Wise to install our developed product. This has proved to cover the bases but as our software has grown from flat file to SQL, from Win32 application to Web Interface and .Net etc... we find we're needing something with a little more oommpph.

I know you're product will cover the bases but a few questions if I may...

We have DLLs and use regsvr32 on the client machine to register these. I presume InstallAware can do this 'behind the scenes'?
    We have .Net Assembly DLLs and use regasm on the client machine to register these. I presume InstallAware can do this 'behind the scenes'?
    Create new SQL 2005+ databases, roles and users?
    We have table and proc scripts to run on said SQL db. Can the scripts be 'embedded' in the InstallAware generated MSI and run on the SQL Server. We want to protect IPR, we don't want SQL scripts as stanalone text files which can be read.
    Can InstallAware automatically add the 'WITH ENCRYPTION' qualifier to the proc scripts run on the SQL db, or must we add this ourselves?
    We have different installations for different clients, different logos, different names, different modules installed. Can these all be controlled from one MSI installation package, and dymanically controled via say a License Key entered on an initial dialog?
    Have you pre-booked your tickets for Prometheous? :o

Thanks,
Keith

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Pre Sales Questions

Postby FrancescoT » Fri May 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Dear Keith,

We have DLLs and use regsvr32 on the client machine to register these. I presume InstallAware can do this 'behind the scenes'?
We have .Net Assembly DLLs and use regasm on the client machine to register these. I presume InstallAware can do this 'behind the scenes'?

Yes you can execute anything on target system with "RUN command" within your script. For net Assembly DLLs you could use "Net Register Assembly" command.

Create new SQL 2005+ databases, roles and users?

Yes you can, with the exception that Users and Roles must be created via SQL Script.

We have table and proc scripts to run on said SQL db. Can the scripts be 'embedded' in the InstallAware generated MSI and run on the SQL Server. We want to protect IPR, we don't want SQL scripts as stanalone text files which can be read.
Can InstallAware automatically add the 'WITH ENCRYPTION' qualifier to the proc scripts run on the SQL db, or must we add this ourselves?

Yes SQL Scripts can be embedded in your setup. The 'WITH ENCRYPTION' qualifier must be handled by your self.

We have different installations for different clients, different logos, different names, different modules installed. Can these all be controlled from one MSI installation package, and dymanically controled via say a License Key entered on an initial dialog?

Yes you can create a setup that conditionally display a set of dialogs. In addition you can also create setup builds conditionally based on compiler variables.

Have you pre-booked your tickets for Prometheous?

Just done!
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

KeithHurst

Postby KeithHurst » Mon May 28, 2012 8:40 am

Hi Francesco,

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions... looks like the next step is to try out the trial :)

Enjoy Prometheous...

Keith

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Mon May 28, 2012 8:50 am

Dear Keith,

The trial is definitely the best answer to every question.

Enjoy it! :D

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Non-Technical”