No need to listen to the hype, listen to the users.

For all your non-technical questions.
SteveDude

No need to listen to the hype, listen to the users.

Postby SteveDude » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:55 am

Take it from a very long time user, that has used "All" of the other guys stuff...Installaware Rocks period. IMO, There is only one choice when comes to installers and that is IA.

bokkie

Re: No need to listen to the hype, listen to the users.

Postby bokkie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Well said, that man. I discovered IA back in early 2009 and it solved problems then that I struggled to do as efficiently using you-know-what. I might not know as much about using IA as I'd like to know but I've seldom ever hit a wall with it. The native engine alone catapulted IA into a different league entirely. It's one of the few products that continuously makes everything much easier. It rocks, no question! :)
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

keefie

Postby keefie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 pm

This user says "where is the documentation"? The product itself might be great but the learning curve is very steep and I'm sure great features go unused due to the paucity of quality documentation. The page of white papers and the built in help information don't cut it.

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

I migrated from the old Wise stuff and have found IA scripting very intuitive, also been a programmer since, well before there was such thing as a PC.

One, a very simple way to learn it is try one of the many prebuilt projects and start with that. They cover pretty much everything you would ever need.

Second, just press F1 when any dialog for detail info on what each option is for. Personally this has covered anything I have needed and find it quite informative.

Third, build your entire installation in the Designer, then go back and look at the code that was generated. Not really a learning curve there at all.

I agree some of the white papers could be a better, but I don't see much need for them with all the prebuilt project templates and being able to swap back and forth from Script to Design View.

Not sure if you are a programmer or not, but any programmer will pick up the scripting quite easily.

keefie

Postby keefie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:58 pm

I agree the entry level stuff is a simple GUI driven effort. However - as the forums will attest - the heavily promoted composition of multiple installers into one installer is so poorly documented that even InstallAware folks provide conflicting advice.

Maybe you have relatively simple requirements for your installers and don't run into such issues.

If I am just missing the point maybe you could help me out here,
http://forums.installaware.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9342

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 am

Dear keefie,

I regret to say that I don't agree with you at all and instead, I completely agree with "SteveDude" reply about:
"at all Not sure if you are a programmer or not, but any programmer will pick up the scripting quite easily".

I really believe that "Combining multiple installers with a project" it is absolutely the most well documented InstallAware argument.
If you want a real sample on the fly, just create a project from scratch and then add a Runtime to it.
Magically you just created an installer project which executes a nested installer!

About your note; "InstallAware folks provide conflicting advice" ...
Honestly, I suspect that it is not not clear enough to you what you really want to do.

Anyway, I have already replied to the post you mentioned and if you can clarify what really are your objectives or "difficulties", probably we will able to help you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:34 pm

keefie wrote:Maybe you have relatively simple requirements for your installers and don't run into such issues.

One of my projects has a user base of about 12 million world wide with combined 32-Bit/64-Bit installations of Windows Shell Extensions with support for XP through Windows 8 and I guess if you call using IA's automation capability to generate custom user installations on the fly simple, so be it.

keefie wrote:If I am just missing the point maybe you could help me out here,
http://forums.installaware.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9342

Done.

Return to “Non-Technical”