MErge module custom actions

For all your non-technical questions.
dcg12

MErge module custom actions

Postby dcg12 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:01 pm

I have several merge modules with customs actions that perform installation of indiviudal components contained in the merge modules.

How do I execute the installation of these merge modules custom actions?

I can't seem to locate the appropriate script statement in the help file.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:23 am

Adding a merge module to your project is not done via the MSIcode script but the IDE visual design views, nothing further should be necessary.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

dcg12

Merge module custom actions

Postby dcg12 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:19 am

CandiceJones wrote:Adding a merge module to your project is not done via the MSIcode script but the IDE visual design views, nothing further should be necessary.

You are misunderstanding the point of the question.

Adding merge modules to a project is straight forward, but there is more to merge modules then just adding them to a project.

Any merge module can define merge module custom actions that can be invoked from the MSI that uses the merge module. These actions typically do something like launch an application or invoke a DLL to accomplish some specific complicated installation task (like scan for proprietary hardware and configure it in my particular case) The merge module defines these actions so the author of the top level install doesn't have to understand the needs/requirements of the merge module for proper installation.

How can I invoke these custom actions defined in the merge module?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:58 pm

I don't believe I misunderstood your question, but I feel you missed the point of my reply. I said:

Adding a merge module to your project is not done via the MSIcode script but the IDE visual design views, nothing further should be necessary.

Emphasis added to help better explain my point. To help you better understand, I will re-state my original answer as well:

Merge module custom actions will run automatically once the merge module has been added. You cannot control merge modules from your MSIcode script in any way, including but not limited to custom actions.

I hope that is better.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

dcg12

Postby dcg12 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:45 am

Certainly the automatic execution of custom merge module actions wasn't clearly stated.

Several modules we use define a variety of custom actions to be used in different situations, such as install, uninstall firmware update etc. In other words not every custom action gets executed in every install/uninstall/repair/update scenario.

As InstallAware automatically runs all custom actions and and no control is provided to me as the install engineer to select which action to execute and when, then I won't be able to use several of the merge modules we use. This makes InstallAware not an option for my installations.

I'd appreciate an update if and when InstallAware add the ability for this granularity of control with regard to merge modules.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:29 pm

You might want to learn to do things the InstallAware way, such as directly calling any DLL function using Call DLL Function, or getting rid of your custom actions altogether and doing implementation in MSIcode or your own IDE plug-ins, etc.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

MichaelNesmith

Re: MErge module custom actions

Postby MichaelNesmith » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:56 pm

I am sorry about Candice's terse reply. There is another option, you can convert your MSM to an MSI using a free converter tool and then execute that conditionally from your setup only when required using (Un)Install MSI Setup. This would still be the InstallAware way ;)
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware

Return to “Non-Technical”