Features etc

For all your non-technical questions.
billp

Features etc

Postby billp » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm checking out the Express version of IA. It certainly is an improvement over IS. Now, a couple of items:

It seems that files that I've added to to the installation have been arbitrarily assigned to either "Feature Independent" or to the feature that comprises my install (and which appears to have been created automatically). There appears to be no way to move the files among features or to reassign them. Is this really true?

As a side note, it also appears that you can't drag/drop/move/copy files between install folders either. Is this also true?

Finally, the Dialogs section show a dialog panel for setup type, but I'm not seeing where the contents of the types are specified.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:48 pm

The assignment is not arbitrary, it depends on what is selected in the Features drop-down.

You cannot drag-drop files once they've been added (you can drag-drop to add them in the first place). But you can right click files or a folder to change its destination.

You cannot specify setup type contents in Express, I'm afraid you cannot change files assigned to features either in Express.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

billp

Postby billp » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Thank you for your reply Candice.

But you can right click files or a folder to change its destination.

OK. I understand now how to move the files among folders.

you cannot change files assigned to features either in Express

In which version is it possible to reassign files to a different feature?

BTW, since I had not yet used the "Filter" option on the files display, which as far as I remember was always "Independent" (grayed out), I'm not sure how some files were added under "Independent" and others under the one feature that existed in this simple install. Mystery.

You cannot specify setup type contents in Express

Then am I correct in my understanding that the Setup Type portion of the dialog is not functional in Express?

Hmmm....I've just experienced my second blowup--IA just disappears, no error message, just poof, all work lost of course. This is unfortunate. Both occurred working in the "Files" area. Any known bugs I should be watching for?

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:16 am

You need at least Developer for your requirements. The setup type dialog is functional in Express, however it won't be of much use if you cannot control what's in each setup type.

Please feel free to send support reproducible steps for your poofing.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”