Bridge plug-in runtime error.

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
bokkie

Re: Bridge plug-in runtime error.

Postby bokkie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:01 am

Francesco,

I did the uncompressed build. After the build I then copied all the missing files to the empty subfolder. For good measure, I also manually created the runtime folder and copied all the dlls into there as well. I still get the installation time error message. Attached screenshot shows what I copied.
Attachments
Screenshot6.png
Screenshot6.png (41.33 KiB) Viewed 50604 times
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 am

Dear bokkie,

I found this:
The file RunTime_NetBridge.dll is the bridge DLL for the runtime plug-in assembly. You must rename it using a unique library name.
The RunTime_NetBridge.ini file must also be renamed to match the new name of the runtime plug-in assembly.

Similary, the file DesignTime_NetBridge.dll is the bridge DLL for the design time plug-in assembly.
It too must be renamed to avoid conflicts with third party plug-in libraries. The corresponding DesignTime_NetBridge.ini file must also be renamed,
matching the new name of the design time plug-in assembly.

Both of the INI files must be configured correctly to indicate the name of the actual plug-in assemblies to load, as well as the internal name spaces to use. This is how the bridge determines what exactly to load.

The plug-in assemblies must be placed inside the same folder as the bridge DLLs, together with their INI files.

I still suspect that the error is there.

Let me try to create a c# plugin by my self .... believe me this is easier in C++.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:44 am

Please do try creating the C# plugin for us! :)

I'd be happy to use C++ but I don't have the time to do so. Sorry! :(
InstallAware MVP

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 am

I will do it for sure ...now I'm curios 8) ... just wait a while.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:40 am

I tried renaming the bridge folders and files but, sadly, it made no difference.
InstallAware MVP

lpperras

Postby lpperras » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 am

I have the exact same issue. I also asked another dev to try on his own, without telling him what I did, and we got to the exact same point where we run the setup and it says it cannot find the plugin. And if we debug it, it crashes the 3rd time it tries to update the UI. We need something a little more stable than that to list it as a feature on the NX version...

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:30 am

Please Guys ... let me first try!
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:29 am

Francesco, if you need someone to try anything for you, let me know.
InstallAware MVP

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 am

Bokkie, Many thanks ... of course ones completed ( .. I hope) I will need your test support.

I will start the project this night just after my dinner ( ... do not worry it is already night here :o ).

I will be back soon!

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

glenharvy

Postby glenharvy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Have you included the dll's in the Support Files section of IA..

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 pm

glenharvy wrote:Have you included the dll's in the Support Files section of IA..

That's interesting. I'll try it first thing when I get to work in the morning. Thanks for the lead.
InstallAware MVP

christ23

Postby christ23 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Dear Bokkie,

That was what i meant with $SUPPORTDIR$! Check this, i have been running into trouble having my files not being stored in this folder.

Ah, and -from the ini file- it seems that it is MaxLogics Bridge, the ini files are identical. So i hope i can helpbyiu more in the future.

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:13 am

I tried adding the bridge dlls, ini files, etc (see screenshot) but nothing changed.

I'm still left with an empty folder in the Release build. I've tried copying foldes containing the files into the "right" place but it doesn't change anything. A little later, I'll 7z what I'm working with and I'll post it here for someone else to eyeball. It's really frustrating! :)

It brings me back to Francesco's comment about having to copy files in the CompileTimeBuild method. Has anyone actually done that? Right now, I'm relying on creating the folders myself after I've produced the output media but is that actually the right thing to do? I mean, I'm doing something after the build that IA didn't know about beforehand.

Christ23: When you were using MaxLogic's bridge, did they (a) work for you without plugin discovery problems, (b) did you do anything in the CompileTimeBuild method, and (c) did you have to perform any additional magic like pulling rabbits out of a hat? :D
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (23.13 KiB) Viewed 50573 times
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (13.64 KiB) Viewed 50573 times
InstallAware MVP

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:26 am

Dear Guys,

I have worked last night on it and I am still doing it.

I suppose to have localized the issue ... I'm working for a possible solution.

I will inform you soon.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

glenharvy

Postby glenharvy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:28 am

Hi Peter,

A couple of years ago you helped me greatly in understanding how IA works. One thing I learnt was that IA was nothing much more than another framework. I did think originally that for $2000+ I would be getting something that did it all for me without requiring much work on my part. I would like to think that I perhaps can help you but don't get your hopes up as once I get IA to do what I want I quickly return to 'real' work. I keep telling myself, IA is a framework only. It really just calls everything else to do the grunt work and I must be very specific in telling IA it what to do and when to do it :idea: . It also does what it does as secretly as possible. Disclaimer: that is theory only. If I keep that fact in my mind, configuring IA to do what I want has been much less confusing. This isn't intended to be a rant, it's just the way I approach anything IA related and it has helped me solve my problems.

OK - zip up your whole test project and attach it to this forum. Please don't use 7zip as it will require extra superfluous steps for me to extract etc. Saving a couple of bytes in transfers doesn't mean anything anymore. Pity you didn't do this 24 hours ago because I don't think *anyone* reading this forum has any real idea on how to get this 3rd Party add-in working, including the guys at IA. It's a C# add-in - not C++. We can then work with you and see if we can help. I'm sure christ 23 an FrancescoT will also jump in because we all want to get this working.

BTW: If you create a C# application that writes it's results to an xml file, then you can use the IA XML File reader to read in all the variables quite well. It works perfectly well (after you assisted me so many years ago). The .Net Plugin appears to me to simply eliminate the disk write IO and passes a pointer to memory to read in the data. Is this .Net Plugin really required? <cough> <cough>. I still don't know how to use IA to configure which method in my DLL to call let alone get it's result into an IA variable!

Return to “Plug-In Development”