Templates for plug-ins

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
iesoccer

Templates for plug-ins

Postby iesoccer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:06 pm

Is there a template or source from a simple/example plug-in? This would make life a ton easier for me if I could see one that works already and modify it.

I need to check for things like Acrobat Reader, MS Media Player, etc. Will also want to create one that checks for the existance of a software component and prompt for them to purchase it if is not installed.

Thanks,
Jerry :?:

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:25 pm

Sure. Click File->New->Other and choose the Plug-Ins tab to create new template plug-in projects.

iesoccer

Postby iesoccer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:48 pm

sinan wrote:Sure. Click File->New->Other and choose the Plug-Ins tab to create new template plug-in projects.

Thanks!

It looks like the Delphi one is easiest for me to understand. But I was also hoping that there would be an example of the actual process used in something like the Flash plug-in or your MDAC one that shows how they checked for the application and then ran the install.

Jerry

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:14 am

We do have the Flash plug-in posted on the forum, perhaps you could post and ask the author?

About MDAC, essentially the plug-in checks runtime library versions and registry keys to determine the correct version number.

Also be sure to check the help file - contains full explanations for what the plug-in export functions are expected to do. Of course, post back if anything is unclear.

zchris

Postby zchris » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:05 am

One thing the help file does not mention is that the variables use "" as an escape when the value contains a ".

Also in my first plugin I forgot that the variable names are case insensitive :o

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:48 am

Thanks for highlighting these - documentation will be updated.

Return to “Plug-In Development”