Pre-sales questions

For all your non-technical questions.
michael_e_obrien

Pre-sales questions

Postby michael_e_obrien » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm been evaluating a few different install packages, and a few questions have come up with InstallAware. I'm hoping the answers are in the docs somewhere, but have just eluded me.

1) I'm plan to support several applications, including a common library that all these applications depend upon. This common library may also be used by others outside or our direct organization, but still within our company. Therefore, I would like to find a common ground for an installation of the library, as well as a reusable component that can be shared with these "others". I planned to use Merge Modules, as they seem to be pretty reusable across whatever install the "others" use. However, I see that InstallAware does not generate Merge Modules. What reusable format should I use that will allow "others" to re-use the functionality (possibly with a different installation tool)?

2) I would really like to create a custom 'Application Runtimes" option (for our common library). Is this possible?

3) MSMQ - is there support for checking for MSMQ? Creating Queues? Setting permissions? Custom "Application Runtimes" option for MSMQ?

4) SQL install - is there a way to choose a database server / login / password, i.e., a SQL prompt dialog?
I would also like to have a 'one install fits all' for the 3 databases we are aiming to support: MSSQL, Oracle, and MySql - is this possible (all 3 in the same install, with a prompt to choose between the 3)?
I see you have a "Application Runtimes" option for MSSQL Express - is there any plans for the Oracle and/or MySql equivalent?

5) I plan to automate the build process on a build machine. Do I need a separate license for the build machine?

Thanks!

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:50 pm

1) Use the Include Script command, and build your library of include scripts.

2) Certainly. Please read the whitepaper that we have on this topic.

3) Wasn't this a system component? If so, it would be illegal to try to redistribute it (kind of like IIS). But, you can still check for it using script commands like Check Registry.

4) See the built-in SQL Server sample for pre-built dialogs and logic. You certainly can build your own runtimes and have a single installer for all these SQL platforms.

5) Not with a Studio or higher level license.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Tiago

Postby Tiago » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Any tips on which registry keys to check?
Thanks in advance!

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 pm

You should be able to find that information from your Microsoft documentation.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Tiago

Postby Tiago » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:42 am

MSMQ adds a Windows service named "Message queuing" and the registry key "HKLM\\system\\currentcontrolset\\services\\MSMQ". So, it is possible to check its presence by calling either "Check Service" or "Check Registry" InstallAware commands.

:D

Return to “Non-Technical”