Uninstalling Password Protected MSI from Group Policy

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Post Reply
Sheri_Steeves
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Uninstalling Password Protected MSI from Group Policy

Post by Sheri_Steeves »

Hello,

I am using Group Policy Wizard on the command line to wrap our password-protected setup.exe into an MSI for push capabilities for some of our clients.
I can get the MSI to install silently with the password using the /s and /k switches; how can I get the msi to uninstall silently and have the password provided?

This is the command line I am using to build my MSI file:

pgplwiz.exe "..\setup\Release\Single\setup.exe" " " ".\setup_%BUILD_VER%.msi" %NAME% "%BUILD_VER%"

Thanks,

Sheri
FrancescoT
Site Admin
Posts: 5361
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Uninstalling Password Protected MSI from Group Policy

Post by FrancescoT »

Dear Sheri,

Please try as follow;

pgplwiz.exe "Project.exe" "/k=<password>" "setup.msi" "Setup" "2.0"

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE
Sheri_Steeves
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: Uninstalling Password Protected MSI from Group Policy

Post by Sheri_Steeves »

Francesco,

That's what I thought I was going to end up having to go do, embed the password in the MSI. This effectively opens the MSI up to anyone who gets it, which we were hoping to avoid if possible.

Do you know of any way of providing a password protected MSI file and having the end client supply the password when they push the software?

Thanks,

Sheri
FrancescoT
Site Admin
Posts: 5361
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Uninstalling Password Protected MSI from Group Policy

Post by FrancescoT »

Dear Sheri,

you are right and my answer doesn't make much sense ... excuse me.

I really believe this can be possible using a Transform File (MST) only.
This file can be generated using the ORCA tool.

With it you can assign a value to the MSI property table and be able to change the values in there.
The generated MST file can be used with Group Policy .

Please note, the property that you want to add with ORCA must be a value of CMDLINE property.

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE
Sheri_Steeves
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: Uninstalling Password Protected MSI from Group Policy

Post by Sheri_Steeves »

Francesco,

Thanks for the tip in the right direction. Using ORCA I was able to create a transform file that contains /s /k=<mypassword> and I was able to both install and remove our msi silently from the command line using msiexe.exe and its TRANSFORM= parameter.

Sheri
FrancescoT
Site Admin
Posts: 5361
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Uninstalling Password Protected MSI from Group Policy

Post by FrancescoT »

happy that solved!

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE
Post Reply