.NET Framework 1.1 w/ SP1 install goes into Restart loop

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
srowe

.NET Framework 1.1 w/ SP1 install goes into Restart loop

Postby srowe » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:47 pm

I have created an installation on an Apache web server that includes the .NET Framework 1.1 w/ SP1 as a prerequisite. It appears that the initial portion of the .NET Framework 1.1 is being installed, but then the SP1 portion of the install goes into a seemingly endless "Restart Computer" and then when booted back up, the installer continues, but again asks to "Restart Computer".

Has this behavior been seen by anyone else? Is there a workaround? Have a built the InstallAware installer incorrectly? Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Steve Rowe
PhotoWorks, Inc.

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:17 pm

Steve

The discussion below assumes the target computer has all .NET pre-requisites installed. If you created your .NET project using the Project Wizard or the templates, these pre-req checks will already be in place.

First and foremost, make sure the version of InstallAware you are running is sp1.passion_update2_rtm.050927. You may click Help->About to view the version. The previous version had some bugs with the slipstreamed .NET 1.1 SP1 installer.

Next, if you are indeed running the latest version, make sure you are both checking for and installing version 1.1 with service pack 1 of the framework in the setup script.

Finally, make sure you are not running an Uncompressed Directory Layout build from a CD. The only caveat with the slipstreamed .NET 1.1 with Service Pack 1 installer is that it will not work from a CD when used with an Uncompressed Directory Layout.

Note that if you want to put your installer on a CD, you may still do so - just do not use the Uncompressed Directory Layout mode. You may do a Web or Single File build, and both will work well from a CD (albeit, with an extra decompression step). Again, note that if you do a Web build, it will also work from a CD (as long as you burn the entire output folder to a CD).

If you still have problems, please let us know. The slipstreamed installer has been tested and works - its a great convenience to have, so we will reproduce and resolve your issue if there is a problem.

Sinan

srowe

Postby srowe » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:25 pm

Sinan,

Thanks. I am running a slightly older version 050909, so I will update.

But I am using the "web deploy" compressed exe which then creates two .7zip files for the .NET Framework and Windows Installer Engine installations.

When I update to a newer version of InstallAware, will I need to recreate the complete project again? I would like to use the project I created, but if that's not possible, then I will do the re-creation. But that is more work than I'd like!

Thanks again for the response. And I'll let you know how it goes.

- Steve Rowe

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:38 pm

Great, your build version explains it all. Just install the latest version. Rebuild your existing setup. It will work :D You do not need to recreate your project, of course. :lol:

The previous version did not work properly, or rather it had a rather strict, documented (in the online help for the .NET Plug-In command) set of requirements that needed to be met. So most likely that was the culprit here.

Let me know how it goes with the latest build.

Return to “Technical Support”