Plug-In Update Package

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
sinan
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:12 am
Contact:

Plug-In Update Package

Post by sinan »

As promised, InstallAware Software Corporation delivers native support for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 imminently after launch. Download the plug-in updater here:

http://www.installaware.com/blockspon/I ... Update.exe [single file download, 63.7 MB]

http://www.installaware.com/blockspon/I ... %20Web.exe [web based download, 1.46 MB - 63 MB]

The plug-in updater contains the following updated plug-ins:

Windows Installer: Adds support for 3.0 and 3.1.
.NET Framework: Adds support for 2.0.
JSharp Runtime: Adds support for 2.0.
MDAC: Adds support for 2.8 Service Pack 1.
MSXML: Adds support for MSXML 6.0.

You need to have InstallAware installed before you may install the updated plug-ins.

Please see the readme file shown in the plug-in installer for more information. Got any questions? Post here!

Enjoy.
sinan
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:12 am
Contact:

Post by sinan »

A small tip for creating .NET 2.0 installers:
  • 1) Create a new project that installs .NET 1.1 (using either the Project Wizard or the .NET Script template)
    2) Set all your Windows Installer commands to install version 3.0 of the runtime
    3) Set all your .NET Framework commands to install version 2.0 if the framework
And you're set!
MobileMark

Where exactly does one set the .Net Framework to 2.0

Post by MobileMark »

Hi,

I'm sure it's simple and straight forward, but I just don't see it. I'm completely new to InstallAware so I'm open to the fact that my answer is probably staring me in the face... Btw, if I can accomplish this task, I'm buying!

I want to be able to create a single click install that allows me to intall a .NET 2.0 application along with the .NET Framework (if required). The problem: I can't figure out how to tell the program that I want to check for the 2.0 Framework.

Setup:
- I'm using the InstallAware Express trial download
- I've downloaded the plug-in updater.

Help!
Guest

Post by Guest »

Ah, sorry. This works with Studio only. Although this is the second request we've had so far...I think uploading a template project that will also work with Express might make sense. Stay tuned.
Guest

Post by Guest »

Hello Again

Here is a template project that you can use (and build upon):
http://www.installaware.com/dotNET2Template.zip

Just extract the archive contents and open the project in Express (or Studio, of course). This project is the equivalent of the ".NET Script" template in the New Project window in the IDE - except, it installs Windows Installer 3.0, and Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, and checks for their requirements.

If you also have the Studio edition, you can also see and customize how the setup script works.

Enjoy!
Guest

Post by Guest »

Thanks!!!
Guest

Post by Guest »

Okay, it doesn't seem to work. I create a simple install using this template, install it on a system that does not contain the .NET 2.0 Framework, and it does not install the framework. What am I doing wrong?
MobileMark

How does .NET 2.0 Check determine update requirement

Post by MobileMark »

Hi,

I've stepped through the template provided (above) and it turns out that the check for the .NET Framework is returning TRUE, even though it is not installed. I did have it installed at one point, but then uninstalled it (I had installed dotnetfx.exe manually). Is the .Net check looking for a particular registry key? Can I set it to a particular 2.0 version, such as 2.0.50727 so I can diferentiate between any of the beta builds and the release builds?
sinan
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:12 am
Contact:

Post by sinan »

What exactly exists on the target system, that is causing detection to fail? A beta version of the framework perhaps?

The plug-in verifies the DLL version of the file mscoree.dll.
MobileMark II
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 am
Contact:

Post by MobileMark II »

Using dotnetfx.exe, I had installed the .Net 2.0 rtm (2.0.50727.42), but then I uninstalled it. If I run a msi built w/in visual studio, it does detect that I do not have the correct version of the .Net Framework and asks if I wish to install it.

When I run an install built using the template supplied in this post (via IA), the setup does not detect that I do not have the 2.0 Framework installed and then when it attempts to install my msi build using VS (which I have packaged into my InstallAware setup), it fails.
MobileMark II
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 am
Contact:

Post by MobileMark II »

Completing the picture...

As determined by 'Add or Remove Programs' on the target system, the only .NET related components that I have installed are:

Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1
Visual Studio .Net 2003
sinan
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:12 am
Contact:

Post by sinan »

Could you please check if you still have the mscoree.dll file in your Windows System directory?
MobileMark II
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 am
Contact:

Post by MobileMark II »

Yes, it was still in the Windows\\System32 directory (v2.0.50727.42).

It appears that the .NET uninstall does not remove this file.
sinan
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:12 am
Contact:

Post by sinan »

Thank you for reporting this. Is the file still there, even after a reboot pursuant to the uninstall?

If so, we will have to revise our detection algorithm.
MobileMark II
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 am
Contact:

Post by MobileMark II »

Sorry for the delayed response...

The answer to your question, is "Yes." The file remains in the Windows\\System32 directory after uninstalling the .NET 2.0 Framework (using Add or Remove Programs).

As a general note, the .NET Framework un-install does not request a reboot. Regardless, as per your request, I rebooted and the file still remains.

Any chance this is a simple fix? I'd love to be able to use IA.
Post Reply