My application to tigger installaware update.

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
defiant11

My application to tigger installaware update.

Postby defiant11 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:32 am

Hi there.

I would like to have my application force the install aware installation to check for updates when the application loads.

If an update is found, i would like to force the download and the update.

i understand that i can call the setup exe with /update but i'm not sure what path the setup will be after the install. is there a registry setting somwhere that points to the setup exe.

also what would the command line be... /update /force or something like that?

Alex_Ronquillo
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Ronquillo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:05 am

the /update parameter checks the update.ini at the URL you specified at build time, if it finds an update, it will download it and installe it, you don't need to know the location of the exe setup. Also, if you specify to run the update silently it will kind of force it.
Alejandro Ronquillo
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

defiant11

Postby defiant11 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:44 pm

thanks for your reply.

but how do i trigger the update from my application. i don't want to wait until the user checks or the schedule runs

How can I tell what the path to the setup.exe is? Do i have to write the setup path to the registry at setup? or is it already written somewhere

defiant11

Postby defiant11 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:05 pm

any idea?

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:18 am

During install, you have to write to the registry (or a text file, whatever you want) the $UNINSTALLLINK$ which is the full path where the update wrapper lies.

Then you have to resolve from your application what the path is, and launch it, although i don't think it's a good idea to do it like this. Because if an update exist and it needs to update your .exe file, it won't be able, as your .exe file will be running.

I have an update script ready, i've developed it for another client as consulting service. You can contact me and purchase the script also. PM me if you want. That script checks for updates and THEN launches the application, not vice versa.
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
InstallAware Software Corporation

Return to “Technical Support”