SQL Prerequiste / Install

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
smehaffie

SQL Prerequiste / Install

Postby smehaffie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:46 am

I have SQLExpress as a prerequisite and I have the instance set to a specific name. The problem I have is if SQLExpress has been installed, the install does not create the new instance. So I need to know how dto do the following.

1) How can I check to see if the new instance is created, and if not then create it even if SQLExpress is already installed.

2) Scan the existing local SQL instances to see see if application database already exist and if it does what instance the DB was found.

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 am

I can't see why is not getting installed if SQLExpress is already installed but with a difference instance name. If instances are different, SQLExpress will install fine, and create the new instance.

1) It's done automatically if you specify the correct parameters (instance name etc) at the Application Runtimes, SQLExpress Prerequisite.

2) You can't do that. You need login credentials to each one of the instances. Many of them may not support Windows Authentication and even if they do, not all accounts can connect to them.
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
InstallAware Software Corporation

smehaffie

Postby smehaffie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:32 pm

Gizm0 wrote:I can't see why is not getting installed if SQLExpress is already installed but with a difference instance name. If instances are different, SQLExpress will install fine, and create the new instance.

1) It's done automatically if you specify the correct parameters (instance name etc) at the Application Runtimes, SQLExpress Prerequisite.

2) You can't do that. You need login credentials to each one of the instances. Many of them may not support Windows Authentication and even if they do, not all accounts can connect to them.

1) Maybe I did something wrong, will check. I know the command line had the correct instance name.

2) I understand about not being able to connect to each instance. What I wanted to do is go through all the local instances and if I could login with a specific password as sa then I would know it was a instance created by my install in an earlier version and could then do some checks to see what upgrade scripts need to be run. So is there a way to get a list of instance that are on a local machine.

smehaffie

Postby smehaffie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:36 pm

OK, The problem is i updated the command line but not the check. Also, you must capitalize the check instance name and the CommandLine instance name for it to work correctly.

Return to “Technical Support”