File Registration Information Inclusion and InstallAware

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Superfreak3

File Registration Information Inclusion and InstallAware

Postby Superfreak3 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 am

Hi all,

Ok, this quetion(s) stems from the biggest problem I have had working with developing installs and that would be file registration and inclusion of such information in the install itself.

Currently we use a product that scans registration when added to the installations template and at compile time. At times, 'stuff' doesn't get to the registry properly and we have to sometimes add Custom Actions to register the files using regsvr32 or regasm.

With InstallAware, how is registry 'stuff' populated for included libraries, etc.

I guess it would be nice to know the best practices as they pertain to InstallAware for getting file registration information into the installations. Is it best to have source files local to the install build machine? Should the source files be registered on the install build machine?

Any ideas, information or points to such would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

If I haven't mentioned before in earlier recent posts, we're looking to make a switch from one of IA's major competitor's products because it doesn't seem they are putting much development effort towards the software we use.

We are also evaluating one other product (InstallShield) and whichever is more user friendly will probably get the nod.

THANKS!!

neillans

Postby neillans » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Registering files that are self-registering, should be a matter of simply enabling the register file checkbox in the install file option for that specific file -- not that this is not possible if you are using Wildcards!
This simply fires regsvr32 internally.
Andy Neillans

Superfreak3

Postby Superfreak3 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 am

What about assemblies needing registration via RegAsm?

neillans

Postby neillans » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Had a look at the "Register Assembly" function? :)
Andy Neillans

Superfreak3

Postby Superfreak3 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:25 am

So there really is no automatic extraction of reg infor when adding files to the install or compiling the install is there? I should go through any files needing to be registered and mark them Register in the visual view. ??

What if I include an Assembly in Files. If I mark that as Register, what will happen? Or, do I need to use that Register Assembly option.

neillans

Postby neillans » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Correct - we do not actually flag all registerable files as "register" as this is not always what people want -- we follow the thoughts that we should not do things automatically in an industry where our users are knowledgable in what they want to do :)

For registering assemblies, please ensure you use Register Assembly in order to ensure correct registration.
Andy Neillans

Return to “Technical Support”