Run Now is running app from temp dir???

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
5aclockshadow

Run Now is running app from temp dir???

Postby 5aclockshadow » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:48 am

Hi.

I'm running v6.6 Build bremen_rtm.050507.

I have an issue with a setup when a user selects Run Now on the finish dialog it launchs the app (the .exe) but when the user goes to save configuration info (the .config) the user receives a .NET error stating that it could not find it:

"Could not find file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\miaF001.tmp\<appname>.exe.config"

If the user does not select Run Now and manually runs the app from the start menu shortcut or by browsing to the .exe it's fine.

Why is it running the .exe from a temp dir???

I have other apps that require .INI files and they have no problem with the Run Now option...they're able to save configuration info w/o errors.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but the app that has the problem is the first .NET app that we've done...the setup will check for .NET v3.5 and if not installed it will run Microsofts .NET v3.5 setup.

Thanks for any help.

MichaelNesmith

Re: Run Now is running app from temp dir???

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Properly written applications will not make assumptions about their startup folder and will actually use the folder they are located in for stuff like INI files, and not the startup folder.

Run Program in older versions of InstallAware does not change the active directory as you have seen; you can use Run Program As or Call DLL Function to change the working folder.

The proper fix for this is to fix your application though - someone could drop to the command line and run your software from there, from any arbitrary folder.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

5aclockshadow

Re: Run Now is running app from temp dir???

Postby 5aclockshadow » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:51 am

'Run Program As' did work because I was able to specify the Working Directory.

And you're right, our app did not work from command prompt in certain scenarios so we are going to fix that.

Thanks again!

Return to “Technical Support”