Is 19.03 virus free?

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
bokkie

Is 19.03 virus free?

Postby bokkie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:43 am

Guys,

I use the free version of Avast. I downloaded the most recent X2 (19.03) and when I try to install it, Avast detects problems with files containing the Banker.KVL virus. I copied the the miaa.exe file from Avast's virus chest and ran an individual scan on it and it does report the file is infected. I don't know if it's a false positive so I pulled the plug on X2 (19.03) and reinstalled the original X2 version. Interestingly, Avast has no problem with the same files and there are no threats detected during the installation.

Is it possible the latest 19.03 release is infected? I've run a complete scan on my system and I don't have any other infections detected.

It's just odd the original X2 install is fine but the latest one isn't. At least on my machine. I don't want to disable Avast because it might well be shouting "Wolf!" for all the right reasons.

Edit: I tried the smaller Web download. Same problem. See screenshot.

EDIT #2: I uninstalled Avast and installed Kaspersky's 30-day free trial. I ran a check on both IA versions and it looks to be fine. Clearly, Avast was reporting it as a false positive.
Attachments
Virus detected.jpg
Virus detected.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 8937 times
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

sinan
Site Admin

Re: Is 19.03 virus free?

Postby sinan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks bokkie, escalated to Avast who have confirmed it as a false positive.

Return to “Technical Support”