On fresh Install of signed installer, .msi in %TEMP%\mia# has invalid certificate

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
BartWilson

On fresh Install of signed installer, .msi in %TEMP%\mia# has invalid certificate

Postby BartWilson » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 am

So I've had a report of a customer not being able to install our product given their cyber security app is not letting any .msi that doesn't have a valid certificate go through. Through some investigation, we've found that after launching the signed .exe of the Installer, it extracts content to the C:\ProgramData directory that contains a .exe, .msi, and mia.lib files that all have valid certificates. However in either the %TEMP%\mia1 or %TEMP%\mia2 directories there a .msi with the same file name as the .msi in the ProgramData directory that has an invalid certificate.
When doing a fresh install, is the extraction of things into %TEMP% modifying the contents of the file such that the certificate no longer lines up?

I say fresh install as if I run the repair/modify/uninstall for the product, the newly extracted .msi file in %TEMP% has a valid certificate. I'm trying to understand what the fresh install is doing here to trash the certificate on the .msi in the temp directory.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: On fresh Install of signed installer, .msi in %TEMP%\mia# has invalid certificate

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:12 am

The setup extraction process just copies the setup files into the LOCAL TEMP directory. This process doesn't modify or alter the copied files. There is no reason to alter such files

It might be more than likely that their cybersecurity app is responsible for such file alteration.
Typically Third-party antivirus can alter files while they are being downloaded or extracted.

Hope this helps you.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

BartWilson

Re: On fresh Install of signed installer, .msi in %TEMP%\mia# has invalid certificate

Postby BartWilson » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:58 pm

So I've seen this file not have a valid certificate on a system without any cybersecurity installation.

Is this .msi part of the overall build such that it could exist to sign at the Post-Build step of the overall Build run? We already sign the .msi at the Pre-Compress step but this file seems to have different contents then that .msi.

I feel like there are 3+ msi files that can come from doing an InstallAware project build to create an .exe.

Return to “Technical Support”