X3 problem with compressed single file

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
AlejandroNehring

X3 problem with compressed single file

Postby AlejandroNehring » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:09 am

If i compile my setup as uncompressed everything is fine.
If I compile it as compressed single file, it produces a very small Setup.exe (317 kB) which does not work. Even if I include Application runtimes as .NET runtime, the Setup.exe remains that small and does not work.

Strange: The same Setup worked fine a few hours ago. I had the some dasy ago and a reboot of the computer was the solution. Now I rebooted, but same result.

Remarks:
The project was created with IA 18 or earlier.
I had to use the Unicode-Tool
It contains some CALL DLL Function kernel32.dll CreateDirectoryA. I had to reenter these manually, they where not upgraded correctly.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: X3 problem with compressed single file

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:27 pm

Dear Alejandro,

if your project compiled always fine and suddenly it doesn't anymore, probably there is a problem with your system.

Regarding "the Call Dll Functions" that have not been updated properly, this problem may be caused by the presence of NON LATIN characters with the script statements. This usually happens with Message-boxes or other command where it is possible to enter literal text.

Currently due UNICODE support, there is no limitation to use NON LATIN characters with literal text. But for sure the same was not recommended with old IA versions where UNICODE support was not available.

Regards

PLEASE NOTE!
This topic has been moved to the more appropriate "Technical Support" forum.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

AlejandroNehring

Postby AlejandroNehring » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:30 am

Just for your information:

I created a new installer project
Than I copied the parts from the old (IA 18) Installer (in small steps) via copy and paste to the new installer (IA X3).
From this time on there where no problems left.

You have to learn, that there are some properties in scripts which are wrong imported to X3.
In IA X2 we had the same. There where some scripts imported wrong and you had no answer. So I threw away IA X2.
Because of W10 support I changed to IA X3.

IT IS (nearly) ALLWAYS AN ADVENTURE TO PROCEED TO THE NEXT IA VERSION.
Tha chaos began as you switched to UNICODE without having automatic correct import - IA behaved crazy if there are some german characters(äöü) not only in message boxes and so, but also IN A COMMENT (!)

It is allways some days of extra work for me to switch to the next IA version. Some basic translations are lost, and with every upgrade there where very special problems.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Dear Alejandro,

in all honestly I am more than convinced that exists a problem on the way you use to handle your scripts.
There are no restrictions or limitations with re-using old script files in IA X2 or X3, of course assuming these are released properly.

I regularly use script files that was originally created with very old IA versions ... I never had or experienced any problem with re-using those scripts.

For what I understand you had the "bad practice" to use NON Latin characters in your scripts.
As I already said; "Currently due UNICODE support, there is no limitation to use NON LATIN characters with literal text. But for sure the same was not recommended (obviously) with old IA versions where UNICODE support was not available."

You should have used LOCALIZED Variables with your MSI scripts, instead of literal text with commands.

Regarding our switch to UNICODE, you should know that ANSI to UNICODE characters conversion has some limitations and these are specifically limited to ANSI characters. You may consult the Microsoft documentations at such purpose.

Finally I really ignore the "missing" answer you said that I had.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Technical Support”